Why is cancer so much more prevelant in organ tissue than muscle tissue?

In summary, cancer is a result of accumulated mutations in cells during the process of cell division. This can lead to uncontrolled growth and further mutations, resulting in tumors. Tissues that do not reproduce, such as muscle tissue, have a lower chance of developing cancer. This is why heart tissue, which does not reproduce, is less prone to cancer compared to organ tissue. Cancer of neuronal brain cells is also rare, as brain tumors usually originate from supportive tissue rather than brain cells.
wasteofo2
Anyone know?

Biology news on Phys.org
Probably due to 'repair' needs, but I've no proof of that, cancer is, after all, a 'mis'sed-function of repair activity...

Cancer typically occurs in tissue where cells are reproducing. Since muscle cells generally do not reproduce, there is less chance of cancer.

wasteofo2,

Read my thread on "Heart cancer?" Your post's similarity indicates you have.

Cancer is a symptom of accumulation of mutations in a cell. Every round of mitosis more mistakes are incorporated into your genome, also such cells are more sensitive to chemical or radiological disturbances. In an actively dividing cell, it can thus cause the overgrowth by lack of inhibition signals that would normally control and stop overgrowth. Due to this uncontrolable growth, more mistakes will happen and even whole chromosomes will be lost.

In non-diving tissue, there is no expression of growth signals, so even though some mutations might occur due to radiation, it won't have much effect.

Loren, I had actually wondered about this before I read your thread, and when I looked at your thread it seemed specifically to be describing why heart tissue wasn't prone to cancer.

Now that I've got an answer, I'm curious why organ tissue divides more often than muscle tissue.

Sorry if I seemed overly proprietary or blunt. I probably was.

Cancer of neuronal brain cells is also extremely rare if I am not entirely mistaken. Brain tumours originate usually from the supportive tissue.

Originally posted by Loren Booda
Sorry if I seemed overly proprietary or blunt. I probably was.

Nah, don't worry about it, rational assumptions are part of being human.

1. Why are organ tissues more susceptible to cancer than muscle tissues?

Organ tissues are made up of highly specialized cells that are constantly dividing and replicating to perform their specific functions. This leads to a higher chance of mutations in the DNA, which can result in the development of cancer. In contrast, muscle tissues have a lower rate of cell division, making them less susceptible to cancer.

2. What factors contribute to the increased prevalence of cancer in organ tissues?

There are several factors that can contribute to the development of cancer in organ tissues, such as exposure to carcinogens, genetic predisposition, and lifestyle choices like smoking and poor diet. Additionally, the complex and intricate structure of organ tissues makes it more difficult for the body's immune system to detect and eliminate abnormal cells, allowing them to grow and form tumors.

3. Can organ tissue-specific functions play a role in the higher incidence of cancer?

Yes, the specific functions of different organ tissues can also contribute to the higher incidence of cancer. For example, the liver is responsible for detoxifying harmful substances, which can increase the risk of mutations and cancer development. Similarly, the lungs are constantly exposed to environmental pollutants, making them more vulnerable to cancer.

4. Is there a correlation between the prevalence of cancer in organ tissues and age?

Yes, the incidence of cancer in organ tissues tends to increase with age. This is because as we age, our cells accumulate more DNA damage and have a harder time repairing it. As a result, the chances of mutations and cancer development also increase.

5. Are there any preventive measures that can reduce the risk of cancer in organ tissues?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent cancer, there are steps that can be taken to reduce the risk. These include maintaining a healthy lifestyle, avoiding exposure to carcinogens, and getting regular check-ups and screenings. Additionally, vaccines for certain viruses that are linked to cancer, such as HPV, can also help prevent cancer in specific organ tissues.