Marianas Trench Homework: Volume & Density Calcs

• Thread starter javacola
  • Start date
In summary: We can assume that the question is asking for how much water is needed to reach a certain depth. Then, by knowing how much water is in a cubic meter, we can find the depth.
javacola

Homework Statement

In the Challenger Deep of the Marianas Trench, the depth of seawater is 10.9 km and the pressure is 1.16x10^8 Pa (about 1.15x10^3 atm.

A) If a cubic meter of water is taken from the surface to this depth, what is the change in its volume? (Normal atmospheric pressure is about 1.0x10^5 Pa. Assume that k for seawater is 45.8x10^-11 Pa^-1

B)What is the density of seawater at this depth? (At the surface, seawater has a density of 1.03x10^3 kg/m^3

Homework Equations

DeltaP/K

The Attempt at a Solution

Well for part A I multiplied the K of seawater by the pressure, and got the right answer which is -5.3 x 10^-2 m.
Now I'm kind of stumped on part B. I feel like it's incredibly easy but don't really know where to begin. Obviously m/v=d, but I'm not sure if that's relevant here. Don't know how to relate pressure or depth with density.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given density at the surface, and you calculated how much the volume would change if you moved a certain mass of water down. Keep in mind, that volume of water had a mass, and it did not change. Therefore you have the quantities needed to calculate density.

Alright well let's see.

mass divided by initial volume is 1030.
mass divided by initial volume + delta volume = the density I'm looking for.

Is this the right track?

My first instant was that since mass is negligent, the change in volume should equal the change in density. But that doesn't seem to be working.

javacola said:
Alright well let's see.

mass divided by initial volume is 1030.
mass divided by initial volume + delta volume = the density I'm looking for.

Is this the right track?

Yes. You also know that the initial volume is 1m^3, because that's what the problem says. You can easily find the mass, and from there, the final density.

Mass divided by initial volume is 1030. Use this, since you know initial volume, to find mass. Take this mass and divide it by initial volume - delta volume to find the density you are looking for.

Thanks a lot guys. Got it with 3 minutes to spare. Have no clue how you knew initial volume was 1, that's what threw me off.

javacola said:
Thanks a lot guys. Got it with 3 minutes to spare. Have no clue how you knew initial volume was 1, that's what threw me off.

We know that because the question states:

"If a cubic meter of water is taken..."

Related to Marianas Trench Homework: Volume & Density Calcs

1. What is the Marianas Trench?

The Marianas Trench is the deepest known point in the Earth's oceans, located in the western Pacific Ocean.

2. How is volume calculated for the Marianas Trench?

Volume can be calculated by multiplying the area of the trench's cross-section by its length. This can be done using mathematical equations or by using specialized equipment such as sonar.

3. What is density and why is it important in calculating the volume of the Marianas Trench?

Density is the measure of how much mass is contained within a given volume. It is important in calculating the volume of the Marianas Trench because the density of water changes as depth increases, which affects the overall volume of the trench.

4. How do scientists measure the density of the water in the Marianas Trench?

Scientists use specialized equipment such as water sampling devices and pressure sensors to measure the density of the water in the Marianas Trench. They can also analyze data collected from deep-sea submersibles or remotely operated vehicles.

5. What is the significance of volume and density calculations for the Marianas Trench?

Volume and density calculations allow scientists to better understand the physical characteristics of the Marianas Trench, such as its size and composition. This information can also help in studying the effects of deep-sea pressure on marine life and the overall ocean ecosystem.