March - Women's History Month

• History
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
In summary, the conversation discusses the life of James Barry, a British doctor who served in various parts of the world and was known for his eccentric behavior and dedication to improving medical practices. It is revealed that Barry, who was thought to be a man, was actually a woman named Miranda Stuart who disguised herself in order to attend medical school and pursue a career as a physician. This conversation also touches on the challenges and discrimination women faced in the medical field during that time period.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
The 2005, Women's History Month theme, "Women Change America," honors and recognizes the role of American women in transforming culture, history and politics as leaders, writers, scientists, educators, politicians, artists, historians, and informed citizens.
http://www.nwhp.org/whm/themes/themes.html

I heard an interesting story on the radio -

JAMES BARRY/MIRANDA STUART

(1795?-1865) THE GOOD DOCTOR WORE THREE-INCH LIFTS IN HIS SHOES, CARRIED A PARASOL, AND TRAVELED THE WORLD WITH A MILK GOAT. AND HE HAD A LOUSY TEMPER. BUT JAMES BARRY EARNED THE HIGHEST RANK A DOCTOR COULD ACHIEVE IN THE BRITISH ARMY.

No one ever claimed Dr. James Barry was pleasant. After graduating from medical school in Edinburgh in 1812, he joined the British Army, and was appointed Medical Inspector in South Africa. He began making trouble immediately. He criticized local officials for the inadequate water system. AND he insisted it be upgraded. He served from India to the Caribbean, from the Africa to Canada, advocating for better sanitary conditions and nutrition for soldiers. He also urged more humane treatment of lepers, prisoners, and the insane.

Dr. Barry traveled in the company of a poodle named Psyche and a black manservant named John, who provided him with six towels each morning, to “accentuate” his uniform. More than once people accused him of having “homosexual” affairs. Barry performed one of the first successful Caesarean sections in the Empire. Women said he was a most considerate birth attendant. In the Crimea he was the only person cocky enough to reprimand Florence Nightingale. He was bombastic, opinionated and tactless. But he was entertaining, and maintained friends in high places. One supporter claimed Barry was the finest doctor he’d ever known….but “absurd in everything else.”

Barry died in England in 1864. The woman who prepared his body discovered that the good doctor - was female. James Barry’s real name is thought to have been Miranda Stuart. She took on the male persona to gain entrance to medical school in 1809, when it was practically impossible for women to become physicians - let alone enter the military. For the next 56 years Miranda Stuart pretended to be a man….and was, in fact, a top rate physician.

from - http://womeninscience.org

for more info, see - http://www.geocities.com/eschiva/stuart.html

Interesting. I wonder how many millions of men owe their lives to women like Miranda Stuart, Florence Nightingale and Clara Barton.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Wow! That's a really cool story. I'd never heard about her/him before. Probably the first transvestite physician too! :biggrin:

Side note: I found out from a Caltech geology postdoc that there are a good number of transsexuals in that field. Apparently it hasn't affected their careers.

I don't think it was a matter of transvestism or trans-sexualism, as much as it was the extraordinary length that a woman had to achieve in order to do something to which she should have been entitled in the first place - simply to educate herself and practive to her abilities. Stuart had the ability, but would have been denied the opporunity because she was a woman.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
I don't think it was a matter of transvestitsim or trans-sexualism, as much as it was the extraordinary length that a woman had to achieve in order to do something to which she should have been entitled in the first place - simply to educate herself and practive to her abilities. Stuart had the ability, but would have been denied the opporunity because she was a woman.

I realize that, it was just an odd observation that came across my mind after reading about it and I decided to share.

She sounds a bit like the Joan of Arc of medicine.

Sounds more like the Sophie Germaine of Medicine.

What is Women's History Month?

Women's History Month is an annual event that takes place in the month of March to celebrate and recognize the contributions and achievements of women throughout history.

When did Women's History Month begin?

Women's History Month was first celebrated in the United States in 1987 after being declared a national observance by Congress. However, the idea originated in 1978 when a week in March was designated as National Women's History Week.

What is the significance of March for Women's History Month?

March was chosen as Women's History Month because it coincides with International Women's Day, which is celebrated on March 8th. This day has been observed since the early 1900s and is a global day to celebrate the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women.

Who is honored during Women's History Month?

Women's History Month honors all women who have made significant contributions to society, including historical figures, activists, and everyday women who have made a difference in their communities. It also serves as a time to raise awareness about the ongoing struggles and inequalities that women face.

What are some ways to celebrate Women's History Month?

There are many ways to celebrate Women's History Month, such as attending events and lectures, reading books and articles about influential women, and supporting women-owned businesses and organizations. It is also a great opportunity to reflect on the progress that has been made and the work that still needs to be done to achieve gender equality.