March Madness Brackets and Points

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
Maybe you could try creating your own app for it? In summary, a group of friends are trying to create a customizable March Madness bracket using apps. They do not like the exponential point system used by common apps and are looking for alternatives. One suggestion is to create their own app or use a scoring system designed by a statistician.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I am trying to make a march madness (college basketball tournament) bracket with some friends. Last year we used common apps, but they all score each round exponentially (first round of 64 teams worth 1 point for a correct pick, second round of 32 teams worth 2 points, third round of 16 teams worth 4 points, etc).

None of us like this scheme since you basically need to pick the winning team to win. Do any of you know if you can either customize your own bracket via ESPN's app (I've looked into it but don't think you can) or if you can't does anyone know an app where you can customize points?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Write your own.

Bystander said:
Write your own.
Yea we thought about doing this but I know nothing about app development. Maybe I'll look into it?

Got to be as good as trying to retrofit someone else's; you could be the next billionaire.

Likes member 428835
Hahahahahha I think too many viewers prefer simple algorithms (though probably most don't even understand how the current exponential point system operates). I'm thinking of making upsets worth more, etc.

Not sure about apps, but here's a scoring system that I like, which was designed by a statistician (first link is a news piece describing it, the second link actually has the scoring system):
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/seattle-biostatisticians-ncaa-pool-runs-pretty-deep/
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2011/03/14/2014497267.pdf

Not sure if there are any apps that easily implement the scoring system.

Related to March Madness Brackets and Points

What is a March Madness Bracket?

A March Madness Bracket is a visual representation of the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament where teams are placed in a single elimination bracket format. It is used to track and predict the outcome of the tournament.

How do you fill out a March Madness Bracket?

To fill out a March Madness Bracket, you must first download or print a blank bracket. Then, you can either research and make predictions on your own or use a bracket prediction website to make your picks. Once the tournament begins, you can fill in the winners of each game as they happen.

How are points awarded in a March Madness Bracket?

Points in a March Madness Bracket are typically awarded for correctly predicting the winner of each game. The number of points awarded may vary, with higher rounds and upsets typically earning more points. Some brackets may also award bonus points for correctly predicting the overall winner of the tournament.

Is it possible to have a perfect March Madness Bracket?

It is extremely unlikely to have a perfect March Madness Bracket due to the unpredictability and upsets that can occur in the tournament. In fact, according to mathematicians, the odds of filling out a perfect bracket are about 1 in 9.2 quintillion.

Are there any strategies for filling out a March Madness Bracket?

There are many strategies that people use when filling out a March Madness Bracket, such as analyzing team statistics, following expert predictions, or going with their gut feeling. However, since the tournament is unpredictable, there is no foolproof strategy for filling out a perfect bracket.