Mapping a circle to an ellipse

In summary, the function f(z) = z + 1/z takes a circle of radius greater than 1 to an ellipse. This can be proven by substituting z=re^{i\phi} and finding the x and y-components of f(z) in terms of \cos(\phi) and \sin(\phi). Using the relationship cos^2 + sin^2 = 1, an equation for an ellipse is obtained, as long as r>=1.
joeblow
How does the function f(z) = z + 1/z take a circle of radius g.t. 1 to an ellipse? How do I think about it geometrically ? (i.e., how should I be able to look at the complex function and tell straight away)

Physics news on Phys.org
joeblow said:
How does the function f(z) = z + 1/z take a circle of radius g.t. 1 to an ellipse? How do I think about it geometrically ? (i.e., how should I be able to look at the complex function and tell straight away)

I can't see it by just looking at it, but I did manage to prove it by inserting [tex]z=re^{i\phi}[/tex], then finding x and y-components of the expression f(z) in terms of [tex]\cos(\phi)[/tex] and [tex]\sin(\phi)[/tex]. Then I used the relationship [tex]cos^2 + sin^2 = 1[/tex] to find an expression among x and y, which turned out to be the equation for an ellipse, as long as r>=1.

Related to Mapping a circle to an ellipse

What is the process of mapping a circle to an ellipse?

The process of mapping a circle to an ellipse involves transforming the coordinates of points on the circle to new coordinates on the ellipse. This can be done by applying a transformation matrix or using mathematical equations.

What is the purpose of mapping a circle to an ellipse?

Mapping a circle to an ellipse allows for the representation of circular objects or phenomena in a more realistic and accurate way. It also allows for mathematical calculations and analysis to be applied to the ellipse.

What are the key differences between a circle and an ellipse?

A circle is a perfectly round shape, while an ellipse is a stretched or flattened circle. The major difference between the two is that a circle has a constant radius, while an ellipse has two different radii (major and minor).

What are some real world applications of mapping a circle to an ellipse?

Mapping a circle to an ellipse is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to model the orbits of planets and satellites, design curved objects in architecture, and analyze the motion of objects in circular paths.

What are some methods for mapping a circle to an ellipse?

There are several methods for mapping a circle to an ellipse, including using a transformation matrix, using geometric constructions, and using mathematical equations such as the parametric equations for an ellipse. Each method has its own advantages and can be chosen based on the specific needs of the application.