MAPLE: Superimpose graphs of 10 discontinuous functions

In summary: I can't seem to figure this out on my own. In summary, I'm trying to superimpose the graphs of 10 different discontinuous functions on the same graph, but Maple won't let me overlap more than 6 functions on the same graph.
kingwinner
Hi,

I'm working on an assignment which requires me to superimpose the graphs of 10 different discontinuous functions on the same graph. Can someone please explain step-by-step how to do so in MAPLE? By the way, I have absolutely no experience in any computer programming in any form and I've never used Maple before...sigh.

The horizontal axis is time (t) and the vertical axis is foward rate (f(t)).
Function 1: (Jan 20 data)
For 0<t<1, f(t)=t+2
For t=1, f(t)=4
For 1<t<2, f(t)=2t+3
For t=2, f(t)=9
For 2<t<3, f(t)=2t+7

Function 2: (Jan 21 data)
For 0<t<1, g(t)=t+3
For t=1, g(t)=5
For 1<t<2, g(t)=2t+4
For t=2, g(t)=10
For 2<t<3, g(t)=3t+6

etc...I have similar functions, 10 in total, and I need to superimpose all of them on the same graph.

Furthermore, how can I add a legend clearing labelling each graph as "Jan 20" for graph of function 1, "Jan 21 "for graph of function 2,..., and "Jan29" for graph of function 10?

Any help would be very much appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
So I did some search on the internet and tried to modify some MAPLE code and I got something like the following.

mathfin2.JPG

And now I have some troubles...

1) In the legend part, I don't know why but there is a label "Points 1". How can I remove it from the legend?

2) How can I change the "color" of the curves for each day? (e.g. I want blue for Jan 17, purple for Jan 18, etc., and I need 10 clearly distinguishable colors in total.)

Please help! Anyone?

So I typed in 7 of the piecewise functions, but Maple refuses to overlap/superimpose more than 6 functions on the same graph, how can I fix this problem? Is it possible to overlap more than 6 functions on the same graph in MAPLE? Does anyone know?

Help, please!

Last edited:

Related to MAPLE: Superimpose graphs of 10 discontinuous functions

1. What is MAPLE?

MAPLE is a computer algebra system used for mathematical computations, visualization, and programming. It is commonly used in mathematics, engineering, and scientific research.

2. How do I superimpose graphs of discontinuous functions in MAPLE?

To superimpose graphs of discontinuous functions in MAPLE, you can use the plot command followed by the functions you want to graph. For example, if you want to graph the functions f(x) and g(x), you can use the command plot({f(x), g(x)}, x = 0 .. 10).

3. What does it mean for a function to be discontinuous?

A function is discontinuous at a certain point if it has a break, jump, or hole at that point. This means that the function is not continuous and cannot be drawn without lifting your pen from the paper. In other words, the function has a gap or discontinuity in its graph.

4. Can MAPLE handle graphs of discontinuous functions with infinite discontinuities?

Yes, MAPLE can handle graphs of discontinuous functions with infinite discontinuities. You can include these functions in your plot command and MAPLE will accurately graph them. However, it is important to note that these types of functions can be more complex and may require additional mathematical knowledge to understand their behavior.

5. What are some practical applications of superimposing graphs of discontinuous functions?

Superimposing graphs of discontinuous functions can be useful for visualizing and analyzing complex mathematical relationships. It can also be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to understand real-world phenomena that involve discontinuous functions. Additionally, it can be used to demonstrate concepts in mathematics, such as the concept of a limit or the behavior of a function at a certain point.