Manipulating Taylor Expansion for Sample Mean, Variance, Skewness & Kurtosis

In summary: \right)\left(\sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2 \right) + \cdots\right]$$$$\approx \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i + \frac{p}{2n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2 + \frac{p}{6n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^3 - \frac{p}{2} \left( \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i\right)^2 - \frac{p}{6} \left( \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=
Usagi
I have the following expression:

$$\frac{1}{p} \ln\left(1+\frac{p^1}{1!n}\sum_{i=1}^n x_i + \frac{p^2}{2!n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2 + \frac{p^3}{3!n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^3 + \frac{p^4}{4!n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^4 + \cdots \right)$$

Now let

$$Y = \frac{p^1}{1!n}\sum_{i=1}^n x_i + \frac{p^2}{2!n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2 + \frac{p^3}{3!n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^3 + \frac{p^4}{4!n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^4 + \cdots$$

Then we have

$$\frac{1}{p}\ln\left(1+Y\right)$$

Using the Taylor series expansion on log, we have

$$\frac{1}{p}\ln(1+Y) = \frac{1}{p}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n+1} \frac{Y^n}{n} = \frac{1}{p}\left[Y - \frac{Y^2}{2} + \frac{Y^3}{3} - \frac{Y^4}{4} + \frac{Y^5}{5} - \cdots\right]$$

My question is, how can I expand the above expression so that my final approximation contains the following variables:

Sample mean: $\displaystyle \overline{x} = \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i$

Sample variance: $\displaystyle s^2 = \frac{1}{n-1} \sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - \overline{x})^2 $

Sample skewness: $\displaystyle g_1 = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - \overline{x})^3}{(n-1)s^3}$

Sample kurtosis: $\displaystyle g_2 = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^n (x_i - \overline{x})^4}{(n-1)s^4}$----------To illustrate exactly what I mean, I know how to obtain the approximation so that it includes the sample mean and sample variance. Start with the expression as derived above:

$$\frac{1}{p}\left[Y - \frac{Y^2}{2} + \frac{Y^3}{3} - \frac{Y^4}{4} + \frac{Y^5}{5} - \cdots\right]$$

Ignore the terms from $\frac{Y^3}{3}$ onwards and substitute in the original expression for $Y$:

$$\frac{1}{p}\left[ \left(\frac{p}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n x_i + \frac{p^2}{2!n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2 + \cdots \right) - \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{p}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n x_i + \frac{p^2}{2!n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2 + \cdots\right)^2 + \cdots \right]$$

$$=\frac{1}{p} \left[\frac{p}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i + \frac{p^2}{2n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2 - \frac{p^2}{2n^2}\left(\sum_{i=1}^n x_i \right)^2 + \cdots\right] $$

$$\approx \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i + \frac{p}{2n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2 - \frac{p}{2} \left( \frac{1}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i\right)^2 $$

$$ = \overline{x} + \frac{p}{2} \left[\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2 - \left(\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n x_i \right)^2\right]$$

$$= \overline{x} + \frac{p}{2} \left[\frac{n-1}{n} s^2 \right]$$----------As can be seen above, the final approximation contains the sample mean and sample variance. However, I am not sure how exactly I can manipulate the expansion to contain sample skewness and sample kurtosis. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

To include sample skewness and kurtosis in the final approximation, we can follow a similar process as shown above. Starting with the expression derived using the Taylor series expansion:

$$\frac{1}{p}\left[Y - \frac{Y^2}{2} + \frac{Y^3}{3} - \frac{Y^4}{4} + \frac{Y^5}{5} - \cdots\right]$$

We can ignore the terms from $\frac{Y^4}{4}$ onwards and substitute in the original expression for $Y$:

$$\frac{1}{p}\left[ \left(\frac{p}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n x_i + \frac{p^2}{2!n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2 + \frac{p^3}{3!n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^3 \right) - \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{p}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n x_i + \frac{p^2}{2!n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2 + \frac{p^3}{3!n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^3 \right)^2 + \frac{1}{3!}\left(\frac{p}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n x_i + \frac{p^2}{2!n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2 + \frac{p^3}{3!n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^3 \right)^3 \right]$$

$$=\frac{1}{p} \left[\frac{p}{n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i + \frac{p^2}{2n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^2 + \frac{p^3}{6n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^3 - \frac{p^2}{2n^2}\left(\sum_{i=1}^n x_i \right)^2 - \frac{p^3}{6n^2}\left(\sum_{i=1}^n x_i

Related to Manipulating Taylor Expansion for Sample Mean, Variance, Skewness & Kurtosis

1. What is the purpose of manipulating Taylor expansion for sample mean, variance, skewness, and kurtosis?

The purpose of manipulating Taylor expansion for these statistical measures is to approximate their values with higher accuracy. This can be useful in situations where the sample size is small or the distribution of the data is not known.

2. How is Taylor expansion used to calculate the sample mean?

Taylor expansion is used to approximate the sample mean by expanding the function of the sample mean around a given point, typically the population mean. This results in a series of terms that can be used to calculate the sample mean with higher precision.

3. Can Taylor expansion be used to calculate the sample variance?

Yes, Taylor expansion can be used to calculate the sample variance by expanding the function of the sample variance around the population mean. This results in a series of terms that can be used to calculate the sample variance with higher accuracy.

4. How does Taylor expansion help in calculating skewness and kurtosis?

Taylor expansion can be used to calculate the moments of a distribution, including skewness and kurtosis. By expanding the function of these statistical measures around the population mean, we can approximate their values with higher precision.

5. What are some limitations of using Taylor expansion for these statistical measures?

One limitation is that Taylor expansion may not provide accurate results when the sample size is small or the distribution of the data is heavily skewed or has outliers. Additionally, higher order terms in the expansion may become increasingly difficult to calculate, leading to less precise estimates. It is important to consider the assumptions and limitations of using Taylor expansion for these statistical measures before applying it to a given dataset.