Electromagnetic waves in a vacuum

In summary, the conversation discusses the characteristics and properties of electromagnetic waves in a vacuum, particularly their transversal nature. The relationship between the electric and magnetic fields in a vacuum is explained, as well as the boundary conditions for electromagnetic waves hitting a medium at different angles. The effects of conduction electrons on the wave are also mentioned. The use of Maxwell's equations and Fresnel's formulae in understanding these concepts is highlighted.
scariari
show that electromagnetic waves in a vacuum are transversal waves.

transversal waves mean that the electric and magnetic wave fields are always perpendicular to each other and to the direction of the wave propogation... but how does this link to a vacuum? and how can you show that a field is perpendicular?

consider an electromagnetic plane wave and assume that it hits a boundary of a medium under a certain angle. assume that the dielectric constant, and magnetic permeability of the medium are given.
what are the boundary conditions on the electric and magentic fields at the boundary of the medium?
are there solutions for the plane waves that come in perpendicular to the boundary? (find them)

a plane wave is a wave traveling in the x-direction and has no y- or z- dependence. hitting a medium under a certain angle= a case of oblique incidence?
if the symbols were easier to type, i would write my answer, but to make sure, there are 4 boundary conditions for the case of it being parallel, in which #1 and #4 reduce to one common one and the third boundary condition also reduces.
for the case of it being perpendicular, it should have some connection with being parallel, but what? i assume that since the electric and magnetic fields are already perpendicular to one another, that there will only be two boundary conditions because not both the electric and the magnetic field can be perpendicular to this medium...

suppose that the medium would also contain a constant density of free electrons that respond to electric fields according to Ohm's law, describe the effect of the conduction electrons on the wave.

putting a free charge on a conductor makes it flow out to the edges. magnetic fields in a conductor lag behind the electric field, thus energy is not equally shared between the electric and magnetic fields. HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by scariari
but how does this link to a vacuum? and how can you show that a field is perpendicular?
Vacuum means 'no charges and no currents'. You got to transform Maxwell's equations for this case into a wave equation. You will find the answer in a standard electrodynamics book, e.g. Jackson.
i assume that since the electric and magnetic fields are already perpendicular to one another, that there will only be two boundary conditions
Maybe. This is all standard work (deriving things directly from Maxwell's equations) than can be found in the literature (or probably on the web...). Search for 'Fresnel's formulae'.
magnetic fields in a conductor lag behind the electric field
The reference to Ohm's law means that the body is not a perfect conductor in which charges can move with light speed. Instead, the current density will be proportional to the E-field strength. In what you say, you seem to refer to an induced current but that's not the case here.

sorry about the first post, i didnt include the whole problem: part a asks to derive the wave equation from Maxwell's equations. I did that no problem, but i guess question is
(from David J. Griffiths' "Introduction to Electrodynamics, chapter 8)

how does the fact that
curl.E =0 and
curl.B=0
show that electromagnetic waves are transverse?

(excuse the following confusing typing)
how does
curlxE=-dB/dt (faraday) implies
-k(E0)x=w(B0)y
-k(e0)y=w(b0)x or

B0=k/w(ixE0)
show that E and B are mutually perpendicular?

about the second part, the boundary conditions at the boundary of the medium:

FIRSTLY, in the previous reply i used "CURL" instead of "del", my appologies...

about the second part of the original question, the boundary conditions at the boundary of the medium: i found 4 b.c's; for reflected perpendicular, transmitted perpendicular, reflected parallel, and transmitted parallel cases.

these are fresnel's equations.

this means that there are solutions for plane waves that come in perpendicular to the boundary, correct?

for oblique

reflected:
E0R=((n2 cos theta- n1 cos theta)/(n1 cos theta + n2 cos theta))E0I
transmitted:
E0T=((2n1 cos theta) /(n1 cos theta + n2 cos theta))E0I

for perpendicular
reflected:
E0R=((n1 cos theta- n2 cos theta)/(n1 cos theta + n2 cos theta))E0I
transmitted:
EOT=((2n1 cos theta) /(n1 cos theta + n2 cos theta))E0I

about the last part:
the effect of the conduction electrons on the wave changes the maxwell equations , right?

del. E=(1/e)pf
del. B=0
delXE=-dB/dt
delXB=(mu)(sigma)E+(mu)(epsilon)dE/dt

can an Ohmic conductor be categorized as a "poor" conductor or just a normal conductor?

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that is produced by the movement of electrically charged particles. They are characterized by their ability to travel through a vacuum without the need for a medium, such as air or water, to propagate.

2. What is the speed of electromagnetic waves in a vacuum?

The speed of electromagnetic waves in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, which is also known as the speed of light. This is a fundamental constant in physics and is denoted by the letter "c".

3. What is the difference between electromagnetic waves and other types of waves?

Electromagnetic waves differ from other types of waves, such as mechanical waves, in that they do not require a medium to travel through. This means they can travel through a vacuum, unlike sound waves, which require a medium like air to propagate.

4. How are electromagnetic waves created?

Electromagnetic waves are created when an electrically charged particle, such as an electron, is accelerated. This acceleration produces a changing electric field, which in turn creates a magnetic field. The interaction between these fields produces electromagnetic waves.

5. What are the different types of electromagnetic waves?

The electromagnetic spectrum includes a wide range of frequencies, from radio waves with the longest wavelength to gamma rays with the shortest wavelength. Some commonly known types of electromagnetic waves include radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.