Managing Mental Illness & Research: Seeking Guidance from a Mentor

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is wise to disclose personal diagnoses of Asperger's, ADD, Social Anxiety, and depression to a mentor. The speaker acknowledges that these diagnoses cannot be used as excuses, but feels it may provide closure and explanation to the mentor. The decision to disclose depends on the relationship with the mentor.
Simfish
Gold Member
Is it ever wise to tell my mentor that I'm going through Asperger's, ADD, Social Anxiety, and depression? (by the way, the Asperger's and ADD were both professionally diagnosed - the other two undiagnosed simply because there isn't a need to go through all the trouble of diagnosing me with them).

I fully realize that they *cannot* be used as excuses, and that I will be evaluated on what output I can produce alone. Furthermore, not everyone is sympathetic to this. But I feel like I need to do it to give closure. And maybe it might explain some things to the adviser once the adviser gets down to writing recommendations for me. I *can* do research, but people need more patience with me than with most others. And that's the concern here.

Physics news on Phys.org

Simfish said:
Is it ever wise to tell my mentor that I'm going through Asperger's, ADD, Social Anxiety, and depression? (by the way, the Asperger's and ADD were both professionally diagnosed - the other two undiagnosed simply because there isn't a need to go through all the trouble of diagnosing me with them).

Depends on the relationship you have with that person. If you see them as a close friend, then sure, but they probably already know. If you see them as your manager, the probably not.

Related to Managing Mental Illness & Research: Seeking Guidance from a Mentor

1. What is the role of a mentor in managing mental illness and research?

A mentor plays a crucial role in providing guidance and support to individuals managing mental illness while conducting research. They can offer advice, resources, and a listening ear to help navigate the challenges of balancing mental health and research responsibilities.

2. How can a mentor help with setting realistic expectations for managing mental illness and research?

A mentor can provide valuable insight based on their own experiences and knowledge of the field. They can help set achievable goals and provide strategies for managing time and stress effectively. They can also offer encouragement and reassurance when facing setbacks.

3. Is it important to disclose mental illness to a mentor?

This is a personal decision and should be based on individual comfort level and the nature of the relationship with the mentor. However, disclosing mental illness to a mentor can help them understand and provide appropriate support. It can also create a more open and understanding working relationship.

4. Can a mentor provide resources for managing mental illness and research?

Yes, a mentor can offer resources such as support groups, therapy options, and accommodations for managing mental illness while conducting research. They can also connect individuals with other professionals in the field who may have valuable insights and resources.

5. How can a mentor help with self-care while managing mental illness and research?

A mentor can provide guidance on creating a healthy work-life balance and prioritizing self-care. They can also offer practical tips and techniques for managing stress and maintaining mental wellness. Additionally, they can advocate for the individual and help create a supportive and understanding work environment.