Making the core for a three-segment air-coil

• Thread starter Jdo300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Core
In summary, Jason is thinking of using a cardboard core for his core and wrapping it in vinyl or plastic to make it stronger.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I am trying to come up with the simplest (but most effective way to make a core (cylinder that is 5"OD x 3"ID x 2" tall) and I want to make it so that is has two separators on it so I can wind three separate coils on the same core. In case that was extremely confusing, I made a diagram showing what I am going for. At the moment, my best idea is to use empty masking tape rolls for each section of the coil and glue it with cardboard spacers or something for the flanges. But I also plan on winding some wire toroidaly on it too and I'm not sure that cardboard would be stiff enough. What do you think?

- Jason O

Attachments

• Core.gif
    Core.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you talking about 3 coils stacked on top of each other with a 5" OD and 3" ID, or 3 concentric coils wherein the innermost has a 3" ID and the outermost has a 5" OD? :confused:

Alright, you little bugger... you altered your initial post after my response. Just for that, I'm going to bed now. Hope you're happy. This means that the rest of the toroid staging system sketches won't be up until tomorrow. :-p

lol, sorry about that. I posted and then went to bed, later realizing I forgot to attach the picture :-p

No worries, mate. :smile:
I'm quite confused now, though. Do you mean that you're going to do a toroidal wind around the whole unit after the initial wraps are in place? If so, why? :confused:

Yes, it is for some odd-ball experiments I'm doing

Intriguing. Does your local fire department know about you? :rolleyes:

Danger said:
Intriguing. Does your local fire department know about you? :rolleyes:

lol, hopefully I won't need them for anything

Okay, then. I'd hate to be aiding and abetting a menace to society. :biggrin:
I'm thinking that the construction would be simpler if you use one long tube rather than 3 short ones. I can think of a few different materials, such as the cardboard core that your local sign shop buys vinyl on. When I worked at one, we gave them away all the time. There are also all kinds of cylindrical plastic things available at hardware or variety stores, like candle holders, lamp shades, etc.. Hobby shops also carry a wide range of cardboard and plastic forms for moulding candles or latex or plaster casting. You can then just insert the form through your spacer rings and apply a touch of glue to keep everything in place. It would be a lot stronger than gluing the tubes together.

Related to Making the core for a three-segment air-coil

1. What materials are needed to make the core for a three-segment air-coil?

The materials needed to make the core for a three-segment air-coil include a ferromagnetic material such as iron or steel, a coil winding material, and insulating material.

2. How do I determine the size and shape of the core for a three-segment air-coil?

The size and shape of the core for a three-segment air-coil can be determined by calculating the required number of turns for the coil and the desired inductance, and then selecting a core shape that will accommodate the necessary number of turns.

3. Can I use any type of ferromagnetic material for the core of a three-segment air-coil?

No, not all ferromagnetic materials are suitable for use as a core for a three-segment air-coil. It is important to choose a material with high permeability and low hysteresis loss to ensure efficient operation of the coil.

4. How do I assemble the core for a three-segment air-coil?

The core can be assembled by stacking the individual segments together and securing them in place with adhesive or mechanical fasteners. It is important to ensure that the segments are aligned properly to avoid any air gaps.

5. Can I customize the core for a three-segment air-coil for my specific application?

Yes, the core for a three-segment air-coil can be customized to meet the specific requirements of your application. This may include selecting a different core material, adjusting the size or shape of the core, or using multiple cores in parallel to increase the inductance.