Making sense of Differentiation in Thermodynamics

In summary: I forget your name).In summary, the notes say that you can differentiate pV^{\gamma}dp+\gammapV^{\gamma-1}dV=0 to obtain a relation between changes in volume and pressure. However, the dV at the end is not just pd(V^{x})=pxV^{x-1}.
Calcifur
Hey there guys,

So I've been doing some Thermodynamics revision particularly involving the equation pV[itex]^{\gamma}[/itex]=constant , which is the adiabatic equation of state.

Now in my notes it says:

"we can differentiate this to obtain a relation between changes in volume and pressure:

V[itex]^{\gamma}[/itex]dp+[itex]\gamma[/itex]pV[itex]^{\gamma-1}[/itex]dV=0"

Now it might be because I'm still half asleep but I don't understand this action, particularly the need for the dV at the end.
Can someone tell me why it is not just:

udv+vdu
=pdV[itex]^{\gamma}[/itex]+V[itex]^{\gamma}[/itex]dp
=p[itex]{\gamma}[/itex]V[itex]^{\gamma-1}[/itex]+Vdp

Many thanks in advance

Science news on Phys.org
[tex]d(pV^x)=pd(V^x)+V^x dp=pxV^{x-1}dV+V^x dp[/tex]

but why does pd(V[itex]^{x}[/itex])=pxV[itex]^{x-1}[/itex]dV

The part I'm struggling to understand is the why there is a dV at the end.

Why is it not just pd(V[itex]^{x}[/itex])=pxV[itex]^{x-1}[/itex] ?

Thanks

dV^x=(dV^x/dV) dV=x V^(x-1) dV

Exactly, or in words, don't forget that you are calculating infinitesimal amounts. It's the same reason that d(p) is dp and not 1.

Calcifur said:
Hey there guys,

So I've been doing some Thermodynamics revision particularly involving the equation pV[itex]^{\gamma}[/itex]=constant , which is the adiabatic equation of state.

Now in my notes it says:

"we can differentiate this to obtain a relation between changes in volume and pressure:

V[itex]^{\gamma}[/itex]dp+[itex]\gamma[/itex]pV[itex]^{\gamma-1}[/itex]dV=0"

Now it might be because I'm still half asleep but I don't understand this action, particularly the need for the dV at the end.
Can someone tell me why it is not just:

udv+vdu
=pdV[itex]^{\gamma}[/itex]+V[itex]^{\gamma}[/itex]dp
=p[itex]{\gamma}[/itex]V[itex]^{\gamma-1}[/itex]+Vdp

Many thanks in advance
That's just bad Calculus. For any variable x, [itex]d(x^n)= nx^{n-1}dx[/itex]. There is always a 'd something' in a differential. If you want to get rid of it, you have to specify which variable you are differentiating with respect to. If p and V are both functions of some other variable, say 't', then
[tex]\frac{d(pV^\gamma}{dt}= \frac{dp}{dt}V^\gamma+ \gamma pV^{\gamma- 1}\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex]

So when you differentiate V[itex]^{x}[/itex],
you must multiply the differential of V[itex]^{x}[/itex] with the differential of V alone?

Can anyone tell me what rule this is? I understand what happens, I'm just struggling to understand why.

Many thanks.

Can it be done like this?

The way I see it is you have to treat the differential of pV[itex]^{\gamma}[/itex] as two separate differentials and by that I mean:

[itex]\frac{d(pV ^{\gamma})}{dp}[/itex]=V[itex]^{\gamma}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{d(pV^{\gamma})}{dV}[/itex]=p([itex]{\gamma}[/itex]V[itex]^{\gamma-1}[/itex])

Which can be reformed so that:

[itex]d(pV^{\gamma})[/itex]=V[itex]^{\gamma}[/itex]dp and [itex]d(pV^{\gamma})[/itex]=p([itex]{\gamma}[/itex]V[itex]^{\gamma-1}[/itex])dV

Which can then be equalised:

V[itex]^{\gamma}[/itex]dp=p([itex]{\gamma}[/itex]V[itex]^{\gamma-1}[/itex])dV

And thus:

V[itex]^{\gamma}[/itex]dp - p([itex]{\gamma}[/itex]V[itex]^{\gamma-1}[/itex])dV=0

If this is correct then why is it minus when in the notes it says plus?

[itex] d (pV^\gamma)=\partial pV^\gamma/\partial p|_V\, dp+\partial pV^\gamma/\partial V|_p \, dV[/itex]
Now you are considering an adiabatic process in the course of which the product pV^gamma does not change, hence [itex]d(pV^\gamma)=0[/itex].

No, this comes from the product rule of differentiation. Consider that you have a function:

[tex]f(x)=u(x)v(x)[/tex]

then, take its logarithm and differentiate:

[tex]ln[f(x)]=ln[u(x)v(x)]=ln[u(x)]+ln[v(x)][/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(ln[f(x)])=\frac{d}{dx}(ln[u(x)]+ln[v(x)])=\frac{d}{dx}(ln[u(x)])+\frac{d}{dx}(ln[v(x)])[/tex]

then do the calculations:

[tex]\frac{1}{f}\frac{df}{dx}=\frac{1}{u}\frac{du}{dx}+\frac{1}{v}\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

but, since f=u v, we can multiply on both sides by uv:

[tex]\frac{u v}{f}\frac{df}{dx}=\frac{u v}{u}\frac{du}{dx}+\frac{u v}{v}\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

and we get:

[tex]\frac{df}{dx}=v\frac{du}{dx}+u\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

If you replace in your problem [itex]f(x)=pV^x[/itex] and [itex]u(x)=p(x),v(x)=V^x[/itex] you have the proof.

Edit: The "no" was for Calcifur's post :)

There's also a confusion in semantics here: "differential" does not mean the same as "derivative"; the former is an infinitesimal quantity, the latter is not; both are related by an infinitesimal factor [itex]\mathrm d x[/itex]

mr. vodka said:
There's also a confusion in semantics here: "differential" does not mean the same as "derivative"; the former is an infinitesimal quantity, the latter is not; both are related by an infinitesimal factor [itex]\mathrm d x[/itex]

Indeed. Note however that even if you omit the dx from the proof above, it's still valid for differentials (which is the case we are discussing here, thanks mr. vodka!)

Ok, I think I finally understand it now! :approve: Thanks to everyone who gave their input! I think I was overcomplicating it!

Related to Making sense of Differentiation in Thermodynamics

What is differentiation in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, differentiation refers to the process of calculating the change in a system's properties (such as temperature, pressure, or volume) with respect to another variable (such as time or energy).

Why is differentiation important in thermodynamics?

Differentiation allows us to understand how a system changes over time and how its properties are related to each other. It is essential for analyzing and predicting the behavior of thermodynamic systems.

What is the difference between partial differentiation and total differentiation?

Partial differentiation involves calculating the change in a system's properties while holding all other variables constant. Total differentiation, on the other hand, takes into account changes in all variables simultaneously.

How is differentiation used in thermodynamics calculations?

Differentiation is used to calculate important thermodynamic quantities such as heat, work, and internal energy. It is also used to derive important equations, such as the first and second laws of thermodynamics.

What are some common applications of differentiation in thermodynamics?

Differentiation is used in various fields of thermodynamics, such as heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and chemical reactions. It is also used in the design and optimization of thermodynamic systems, such as engines and refrigerators.