Making Memory Cells: Building an Adding Machine

In summary: Is there something special about PNP transistors that I'm missing?Yup. I've made an adder with ECB transistors. All the diagrams for sram cells that I've seen call for 6 transistors, 4 NPN and two PNP. I don't have the PNP types, just the NPN. I wonder how to make a memory cell using just NPN transistors. Is there something special about PNP transistors that I'm missing?
bocochoco
This is my first post here, be gentle please ^_^. I searched for answers, but nothing came up. This is not homework, it's something I've been working on after I got bored with my Arduino.

I'm working on a small project in my spare time. Using just discrete transistors, I'm building an adding machine. I've got one full adder built using NOR logic and it works great. I'd like to store the output of each adder in a memory cell, but I can't figure out how to make a memory cell. I've seen schematics of 6T sram cells, but I've also read about 1T and 2T sram cells. I don't see how that can be done, but in the pursuit of efficiency and minimizing the number of transistors I use, I'd like to investigate this. Any idea how they make those cells?

Engineering news on Phys.org
bocochoco said:
This is my first post here, be gentle please ^_^. I searched for answers, but nothing came up. This is not homework, it's something I've been working on after I got bored with my Arduino.

I'm working on a small project in my spare time. Using just discrete transistors, I'm building an adding machine. I've got one full adder built using NOR logic and it works great. I'd like to store the output of each adder in a memory cell, but I can't figure out how to make a memory cell. I've seen schematics of 6T sram cells, but I've also read about 1T and 2T sram cells. I don't see how that can be done, but in the pursuit of efficiency and minimizing the number of transistors I use, I'd like to investigate this. Any idea how they make those cells?

Welcome to the PF.

I'm not familiar with 2T ram cells, but I can tell you for sure that 1T "sram" cells need to be refreshed. They are really misnamed dram cells. Do you have any pointers to the 2T ram cells?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

I'm not familiar with 2T ram cells, but I can tell you for sure that 1T "sram" cells need to be refreshed. They are really misnamed dram cells. Do you have any pointers to the 2T ram cells?

Sorry it was 3T and 1T sram cells that I meant, not 2T. I haven't been able to find anything short of descriptions in patent docs. I'm not particularly worried about how many I use, but it would obviously be better to use fewer. To be entirely honest I'm not even sure how the 6T cell works. I've only started messing at this level. I think that arduino has dampened what I thought i knew. I tried copying the diagram for another 6T memory cell hoping that would help me figure out how it works, but it doesn't seem to have. I'm not really sure if I've even copied it right :(. Here's my diagram.

[PLAIN]http://zapdos.ath.cx/sram2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
Maybe this will help (it shows FETs instead of BJTs, but the operation is similar):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_RAM

I've read through that a bit, but it still doesn't make as much sense as I'd like it to. I'm assuming that mosfets and bjts are similar enough to be used interchangeably for this project. I've still got a ton of bjts left after building all the adders. I'm not really worried about efficiency, I just want it to work. All my transistors are the same though, NPN type ECB. SRAM's seem better suited since they don't need to be refreshed constantly.

Last edited:
bocochoco said:
... I just want it to work. All my transistors are the same though, NPN type ECB...
ECB is the transistor pinout: Emitter, Collector, Base.

Bob S

Bob S said:
ECB is the transistor pinout: Emitter, Collector, Base.

Bob S

Yup. I've made an adder with ECB transistors. All the diagrams for sram cells that I've seen call for 6 transistors, 4 NPN and two PNP. I don't have the PNP types, just the NPN. I wonder how to make a memory cell using just NPN transistors.

Related to Making Memory Cells: Building an Adding Machine

What is the purpose of making memory cells and adding machines?

The purpose of making memory cells and adding machines is to create a device that can store and manipulate data for various applications. Memory cells store information in binary form, while adding machines perform mathematical calculations. Together, they can be used in computers, calculators, and other electronic devices.

What materials are needed to build memory cells and adding machines?

To build memory cells and adding machines, you will need materials such as transistors, capacitors, resistors, and diodes. These components can be made from various materials such as silicon, germanium, and copper. You will also need a circuit board, power source, and other electronic components for the complete system.

How do memory cells and adding machines work together?

Memory cells and adding machines work together by using the binary system. Memory cells store data in the form of 0s and 1s, while adding machines can manipulate these numbers to perform mathematical operations. The memory cells provide the data, and the adding machine performs the calculations, allowing for storage and manipulation of data.

What are the benefits of using memory cells and adding machines?

The benefits of using memory cells and adding machines include faster and more accurate data processing, efficient storage of large amounts of data, and versatility in performing various mathematical operations. These devices have greatly improved the capabilities of computers and other electronic devices, making them essential in our daily lives.

What are some real-life applications of memory cells and adding machines?

Memory cells and adding machines have various real-life applications, including in computers, smartphones, calculators, and other electronic devices. They are also used in scientific research, financial analysis, and data management. Memory cells and adding machines have revolutionized the way we store and process information, making many tasks more efficient and accurate.