Making H2O2 at Home - A Guide for Aquarists

• Thread starter wouternet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary, using a homemade aquarium oxigizer will not provide your fish with the same benefits as using a store bought one. The homemade version is more likely to cause toxicity issues.
wouternet
Hello, this is my first post and i wanted to ask the following:

How can you make H2O2 (hydrogenperoxide) yourself, because if saw in the store the other day a aquarium oxigizer (so your fish don't sufficate) wtch uses H2O2 in a percentage of 4.9%, but the stuff costs 5 bucks a bottle and only lasts a week or 3, so can i make my own?

Thanks, wouternet

Chemistry news on Phys.org
wouternet said:
so can i make my own?

I doubt you will be able to do it cheaper.

This is not a physics question.

And please use spellchecker.

wouternet said:
(so your fish don't sufficate)

I always wondered how all the fish in the world's oceans, lakes, and rivers thrived to this day without oxygenizers and bubble thingies... ;-)

Fact is, as long as the surface of the water is agitated ("wave" action) oxygen will enter it. You don't need any H2O2 gadgets and gizmos.

And how agitated do you suppose the surface of the water in a fish tank is?

philnow said:
And how agitated do you suppose the surface of the water in a fish tank is?

Obviously enough.

I am not using any artificial additives and in my tank fish doesn't have any problems. There is some motion of the water due to the filter pump, but even if I switch it off for few days nothing wrong happens.

Borek said:
Obviously enough.

I am not using any artificial additives and in my tank fish doesn't have any problems. There is some motion of the water due to the filter pump, but even if I switch it off for few days nothing wrong happens.

I did the same thing when I was training my fish to lie motionless, upside-down while holding their breath...

Don't need no stinkin' oxygen!

chemisttree said:
I did the same thing when I was training my fish to lie motionless, upside-down while holding their breath...

So I actually had trained my fish? And didn't need to flush them. Oh no!

wouternet said:

How can you make H2O2 (hydrogenperoxide) yourself, because if saw in the store the other day a aquarium oxigizer (so your fish don't sufficate) wtch uses H2O2 in a percentage of 4.9%, but the stuff costs 5 bucks a bottle and only lasts a week or 3, so can i make my own?

Thanks, wouternet

Sounds like a gimmick. Just use the air bubble pump. Cheap and has worked forever. Well, except in the case of my trained fish...

H2O2 is a bit energetic. I don't think that O2 ends up in water that way. It is mainly dissolved.

H2O2 might be toxic. So no extra training necessary.

chemisttree said:

:smile: Very funny!

wouternet said:

Thanks, wouternet

In the aquarium, H2O2 is used to kill algae and bacteria. It has been shown to be http://www.cababstractsplus.org/abstracts/Abstract.aspx?AcNo=20013101246", for example. It is likely that the peroxide rapidly reacts with any ammonia or amines present and forms reactive chloramines within a short time of the dosage. Chloramines, like Chloramine-T, have also been used as a treatment for various parasite and bacterial infections in fish, so it makes sense that a chemical that makes a chloramine in situ would be effective as well.

It is NOT used to oxygenate water... but if used in high enough concentrations, it is useful as a training aid when training fish to hang upside down, motionless while holding their breath.

Last edited by a moderator:
chemisttree said:
In the aquarium, H2O2 is used to kill algae and bacteria.
And presumably to make blond goldfish

One fish, two fish, blondfish, pondfish...

Related to Making H2O2 at Home - A Guide for Aquarists

1. What materials do I need to make H2O2 at home for my aquarium?

To make H2O2 at home, you will need 3% hydrogen peroxide, distilled water, measuring cups and spoons, a glass container, and a stirring rod. It is important to use distilled water to avoid any impurities that may harm your aquarium.

2. How do I properly measure and dilute the hydrogen peroxide for my aquarium?

To make a 3% solution, mix 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide with 2 parts distilled water. For a 1.5% solution, mix 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide with 4 parts distilled water. It is important to accurately measure and dilute the hydrogen peroxide to avoid harming your aquarium plants and animals.

3. How often should I add H2O2 to my aquarium?

The frequency of adding H2O2 to your aquarium will depend on the specific needs of your aquarium. It is recommended to start with a small amount and increase gradually, monitoring the effects on your plants and animals. It is also important to test the water parameters regularly to ensure the safety of your aquarium inhabitants.

4. Can I use H2O2 to treat specific issues in my aquarium?

Yes, H2O2 can be used to treat specific issues in your aquarium such as algae growth, bacterial infections, and fungal infections. However, it is important to research and follow proper dosing instructions for each specific issue to avoid harming your aquarium inhabitants.

5. Is it safe to make H2O2 at home for my aquarium?

Yes, it is safe to make H2O2 at home for your aquarium as long as you follow proper measurements and dilution instructions. It is also important to handle the solution with care and keep it out of reach of children and pets. If you have any concerns, consult with a professional or use a commercially available H2O2 solution.