Making a solar powered battery with AC power socket

In summary, making a solar-powered battery with an AC power socket involves using a solar panel to convert sunlight into electrical energy, which is then stored in a battery. The battery can be connected to an AC power socket, allowing devices to be powered using the stored energy. This process is environmentally friendly and can provide a reliable source of power in areas without access to traditional electricity sources.
JoeSalerno
It's mid summer and I think I need a project to keep busy. What better than a solar project? Problem is, I've never built a solar circuit before, let alone a battery charger. Ideally, I would like to build the equivalent of a solar powered generator. I know there's no way I'm getting as much power as a gas generator, but it'd be fun project. I would hope to wire in an American standard wall outlet to power whatever gets plugged in. Would it be possible to put in a battery charge monitor as well? My experience with electronics lies in the realm of novice. I've done some electrical work, but by no means would I consider myself too knowledgeable. Is what I'm proposing unrealistic for my skill level, or is it doable? Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
JoeSalerno said:
Is what I'm proposing unrealistic for my skill level, or is it doable? Thanks in advance.

maybe

JoeSalerno said:
Problem is, I've never built a solar circuit before, let alone a battery charger.

do you have any significant electronics construction experience ... if you answer is no, then my maybe answer in the first bit would be changed to no
not without some close hands on mentoring help

line up of modules required...

Solar panel(s) with suitable battery charging capability ( depends on battery capacity) ---- > solar charge controller unit ---> battery(s) ------ DC to AC inverterDave

Likes berkeman
davenn said:
maybe
do you have any significant electronics construction experience ... if you answer is no, then my maybe answer in the first bit would be changed to no
not without some close hands on mentoring help

line up of modules required...

Solar panel(s) with suitable battery charging capability ( depends on battery capacity) ---- > solar charge controller unit ---> battery(s) ------ DC to AC inverterDave
I wouldn't say it's significant, but I have done a fair bit of electronics work, just nothing involving solar power.

JoeSalerno said:
I wouldn't say it's significant, but I have done a fair bit of electronics work, just nothing involving solar power.
If you haven't worked with AC Mains projects much yet, I'd avoid that for right now. It's best to have an in-person Mentor to help you learn about AC Mains based projects and how to design to comply with UL and other industry standard safety rules.

Solar does sound fun, and you can definitely learn about Maximum Power Point (MPP) power converter design as part of the project. If you stick with a simple battery technology (like lead-acid) and follow the general guidelines for charging the battery, it should be a relatively safe project. You could also make the output 5Vdc, and use the setup to recharge your cellphone via a USB cable.

Have you designed or worked with DC-DC converters before? That's the basic building block of the MPP power converter...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_power_point_tracking

berkeman said:
Have you designed or worked with DC-DC converters before? That's the basic building block of the MPP power converter...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_power_point_tracking
Yes, I've done a few projects with DC/DC converters using higher voltage batteries to power lower voltage motors. Is DC to AC similar in the way that it is set up?

JoeSalerno said:
Yes, I've done a few projects with DC/DC converters using higher voltage batteries to power lower voltage motors. Is DC to AC similar in the way that it is set up?
No, a DC-to-AC Inverter topology is pretty different, and involves high voltages at the output. To make the AC 60Hz output waveform, you typically boost the input DC up to higher AC square wave waveform, and smooth it with a passive LC filter. You can also use PWM in the chopping/boost waveform to help you get fewer harmonics after your output filter.

More sophisticated Inverters can be hooked in parallel, and cooperate in adding their output powers in phase smoothly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_inverter

:smile:

I think you need to look at your project as two separate challenges.
1. Efficiently collect and store solar power in batteries.
2. Convert stored power into an AC source synchronized with the grid, (more difficult but there are standard designs)

rootone said:
Convert stored power into an AC source synchronized with the grid, (more difficult but there are standard designs)
Please always link to anti-islandiong advice when saying this. Thanks.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/diy-solar-power-system.918484/#post-5793024
rootone said:
I think you need to look at your project as two separate challenges.
1. Efficiently collect and store solar power in batteries.

Good point. @JoeSalerno -- Have you considered adding simple motor tracking of your solar panel into your design? That would be fun and useful learning as well.

Related to Making a solar powered battery with AC power socket

What is a solar powered battery with AC power socket?

A solar powered battery with AC power socket is a device that uses solar energy to charge a battery, which can then be used to power devices that require AC power. It combines the benefits of both solar energy and traditional AC power sources.

How does a solar powered battery with AC power socket work?

The solar panel on the device collects sunlight and converts it into electricity, which is then stored in the battery. The battery can then be used to power devices that require AC power, such as laptops, phones, and small appliances.

What are the advantages of using a solar powered battery with AC power socket?

There are several advantages to using a solar powered battery with AC power socket. It is environmentally friendly, as it uses renewable energy from the sun. It is also portable and can be used in areas without access to traditional power sources. Additionally, it can help save on electricity costs in the long run.

Can a solar powered battery with AC power socket be used in all types of weather?

While a solar powered battery with AC power socket is designed to work in sunny conditions, it can still function in cloudy or overcast weather. However, the charging time may be longer and the battery may not hold as much charge compared to when it is charged in direct sunlight.

Are there any limitations to using a solar powered battery with AC power socket?

The main limitation of a solar powered battery with AC power socket is that it may not be able to power high energy-consuming devices, such as large appliances or power tools. It is also important to note that the effectiveness of the device may vary depending on the quality and size of the solar panel and battery used.