Making a Big Ice Block on a Budget

• Thread starter ketamynx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block Ice
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating a large ice block for an experiment using an old refrigerator. The participants are looking for a hydrophobic material to construct the walls of the block and a porous surface for the block to sit on. Suggestions include using a silicone lining or glass insulation, but also warn of potential dangers and toxicity. A cheap alternative is suggested involving buying a plane and saw, freezing and cutting blocks of ice, and stacking them with a torch. The option of using an ice house is also mentioned.
ketamynx
I have an extremely old refrigerator.

[and][STRIKE][/STRIKE]

I want to properly insulate the freezer part, fill it with water and make a large ice block.
Then expose it to sunlight and see how it melts. Pure experiment.

I need an idea of a hydrophobic material or something, so I can take the block out of the fridge with, and remove easily (by heating maybe?).

Or better, I can construct the block's recipient walls from the very same material and put it in the fridge, I need a very porous surface that the block will sit on and doesn't come off before the block melts down after exposure.

Any help much appreciated.

P.S.: This should not exceed 100$...

Attachments

• what to use.jpg
    what to use.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 378
Engineering news on Phys.org
For the walls, you may want to try to make a silicone lining- it should be easy to get off if it is thick enough (silicone cures to around 300psi tensile strength) and it is hydrophobic and non porous.

The base, well honestly my best guess for a cheap substrate that is highly porous would be glass insulation, perhaps on a foundation of cinder block. Until the water saturates the insulation there will be very little heat applied to the block from the ground. If you had all the money in the world I would say buy some aerogel.

I might also like to add this could be dangerous as well as toxic as water expansion can rupture the pressurized sections.

A cheap alternative route would be as follows, goto a hardware store and buy a plane, they run from 25-80 dollars depending on model- and a saw. If you have both great, next get a cooking tin from a grocery store- the kind you might put a turkey in. Freeze a block of ice with it- then another. Cut the blocks to desired size, plane them out- heat the surface with a torch and stack them up. The surfaces will refreeze. Just make sure to completely dry the tools after use.

Also the services of an actual ice house may be best of all. I cannot imagine a block of ice you need being more then 15 dollars if you can manage to drive down to a local one. You can also fine online ones that will ship em out to you.

Last edited:

I would suggest using a hydrophobic material such as silicone or Teflon to line the inside of the freezer and create a barrier between the ice block and the walls of the fridge. This will prevent the ice block from sticking to the walls and make it easier to remove. Additionally, using a porous surface such as a wire mesh or a cooling rack for the ice block to sit on will allow for better air circulation and more even melting. As for the budget, you could also try using cheap materials such as aluminum foil or plastic wrap to line the freezer and create a barrier. However, keep in mind that using a cheaper material may not provide as effective results as using a hydrophobic material. It would also be beneficial to conduct multiple trials and record the results to ensure the accuracy of the experiment.

Related to Making a Big Ice Block on a Budget

1. How can I make a big ice block on a budget?

To make a big ice block on a budget, you can use a plastic container or cooler and fill it with water. Then, place the container in a freezer and let it freeze for several hours until it becomes a solid block of ice.

2. What type of water should I use to make a big ice block?

It is best to use distilled or purified water when making a big ice block. This will ensure that the ice is clear and free from impurities, resulting in a better quality block of ice.

3. How long does it take for a big ice block to freeze?

The freezing time for a big ice block can vary depending on the size of the container, the temperature of the freezer, and the type of water used. However, on average, it can take anywhere from 8-24 hours for a large block of ice to freeze completely.

4. Can I add food coloring or other additives to my big ice block?

Yes, you can add food coloring or other additives to your big ice block to create a fun and unique look. However, keep in mind that these additives may affect the freezing time and quality of the ice block.

5. How can I keep my big ice block from melting too quickly?

To prevent your big ice block from melting too quickly, you can wrap it in towels or place it in an insulated container. You can also add salt to the water before freezing, as this will lower the freezing temperature and help the ice block stay frozen for longer.