Making 1 Tesla Electromagnet(need specification)

• Thread starter sushil_204
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tesla
In summary, the conversation is about creating a 1 tesla electromagnet using a power supply of 40-50V DC. The goal is to make a device that can fit on a desk and has two electromagnets within a 40-50 cm size cube. The individual is unsure of the appropriate size of copper wire, resistance, and iron core needed for the project. They also mention that they will be happy to provide more information if needed.
sushil_204
HI I need to make a electromagnet(solenoid) of around 1 Tesla. I have power supply of around 40V to 50V DC. I want to make a device so that I can put it in my desk. Like around 40/50 cm size cube in which two such electromagnet will fit. I don't know what sized copper wire will be better for me and what will be its resistance. What size of iron core will be better and what will be the number of winding. If you need more information I will be happy to let you know. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
mri_digest2.jpg

This is a 1 tesla magnet (or at least, something that uses a magnetic field that powerful)

Why in the world do you think you need a 1 tesla magnet?

sushil_204 said:
the whole body size

Good choice of words. That table in the front of the picture is the part that you lie on to be inserted into the rest of it for imaging.
If you can figure out how to do that on 40 volts, you will be a multibillionaire within hours.

Related to Making 1 Tesla Electromagnet(need specification)

1. What materials are needed to make a 1 Tesla electromagnet?

To make a 1 Tesla electromagnet, you will need a power source, such as a battery or power supply, a ferromagnetic core such as iron, copper wire, and a switch. You may also need additional materials for insulation and support.

2. How many turns of wire are needed to achieve 1 Tesla?

The number of turns of wire needed to achieve 1 Tesla depends on the strength of the power source and the material of the core. Generally, more turns of wire are needed for a weaker power source and a less magnetically conductive core material. On average, around 300-500 turns of wire are needed to achieve 1 Tesla.

3. What is the optimal length and thickness of the wire for a 1 Tesla electromagnet?

The optimal length and thickness of the wire for a 1 Tesla electromagnet depend on the current and voltage of the power source. Generally, thicker and shorter wire is preferred for higher currents and voltages. Consult with a magnetism expert or use online calculators to determine the best wire specifications for your specific needs.

4. Can any power source be used to make a 1 Tesla electromagnet?

No, not all power sources are suitable for making a 1 Tesla electromagnet. It is recommended to use a high current and voltage power source, such as a battery or power supply specifically designed for electromagnets. Using a weak power source may result in a weaker magnetic field and may not achieve 1 Tesla.

5. How can I measure the strength of my 1 Tesla electromagnet?

The strength of a 1 Tesla electromagnet can be measured using a gaussmeter, which measures the magnetic field in units of gauss. Alternatively, you can also use a magnetometer to measure the strength of the magnetic field. It is important to calibrate your measuring device for accurate readings.