Make Hot Wire with 9V Battery: 200c/300c

• Thread starter yup790
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot Wire
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a boiling tube that can reach a temperature of 200-300°C without a flame, using a coil of wire and a 9V battery. Insulation is key to achieving this temperature, and controlling it can be interesting. However, it is noted that a small PP3 9V battery may not have enough power to reach this temperature and a larger battery, such as a 12V 7.2 AH Gel or sealed Lead-Acid, may be needed. The volume to be heated is also a factor, and a thin wire or small resistor could potentially reach 200°C with 200mA. It is suggested that wolfram based wires would be suitable for this purpose.
yup790
I am planning in making a boiling tube that heats up to about 200c without a flame. I was thinking a coil of wire and a 9v battery (portable is always better). How would I make the wire hot - 200c/300c with only a 9v battery.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you insulate your system well enough (that is not trivial), reaching that temperature is easy.
Controlling the temperature can be interesting.

mfb said:
If you insulate your system well enough (that is not trivial), reaching that temperature is easy.
Controlling the temperature can be interesting.

Yup, but it isn't going to be done with one of those small PP3 9V batteries, they just don't have the umph,
they can only supply around 300-400 mA and for a relatively short time
You would need a battery that can supply significant current, say a 12V 7.2 AH Gel or sealed Lead-Acid

Dave

I don't know how large the volume we want to heat is.
You can make a thin wire visibly glow red with ~2A, using a thinner wire should easily give 200°C with 200mA.
9 V at 200 mA means 40 Ohm, so we can use a long thin wire (or probably a small resistor).

Related to Make Hot Wire with 9V Battery: 200c/300c

What materials do I need to make a hot wire with a 9V battery?

To make a hot wire with a 9V battery, you will need a 9V battery, a wire, and a resistor. The wire should be thin and have a high resistance, such as nichrome wire or stainless steel wire. The resistor will help regulate the current and prevent the wire from overheating.

How hot can the wire get with a 9V battery?

The temperature of the wire will depend on the resistance of the wire and the amount of current passing through it. Generally, with a 9V battery, the wire can reach temperatures between 200°C and 300°C. However, this can vary depending on the type of wire and battery used.

Is it safe to touch the wire while it is hot?

No, it is not safe to touch the wire while it is hot. The wire can reach high temperatures that can cause burns. Always use caution and protective gear when handling hot wires.

How do I control the temperature of the hot wire?

The easiest way to control the temperature of the hot wire is by using a variable resistor. This will allow you to adjust the amount of current passing through the wire and thus control the temperature. You can also use a thermometer to monitor the temperature and adjust the current accordingly.

What are some practical applications of a hot wire made with a 9V battery?

A hot wire made with a 9V battery can be useful for cutting or shaping materials that are sensitive to high temperatures, such as styrofoam or plastic. It can also be used for soldering or welding small objects. Additionally, it can be used in science experiments or demonstrations to show the effects of electricity on different materials.