Make a Perfect Dodecahedron: What Angle to Cut Plywood?

• I
  • Thread starter arydberg
  • Start date
In summary, the dihedral angles of a pentagon are 108 degrees, three of them add up to 324 degrees, and three of the small angles measure (360-324)/3 or 12 degrees.
arydberg
I can cut out 5 sided pieces of plywood on my table saw but then i need to put an angle on the side of each pentagon. My question is what angle do I use so the pieces fit toghter to a solid? How do i find it. I suppose the dot product is used somehow.

Physics news on Phys.org
arydberg said:
I can cut out 5 sided pieces of plywood on my table saw but then i need to put an angle on the side of each pentagon. My question is what angle do I use so the pieces fit toghter to a solid? How do i find it. I suppose the dot product is used somehow.
Wow, such a great idea to make a wooden dodecaheron! Once you've got it down, surely you must create the entire set of Platonic solids! The dot product is used to derive both the general equation of the plane and formula for finding dihedral angles.

The formula for finding such an angle between two planes (or in this case two pieces of wood) is ##\theta=\cos^{-1}(\frac{AE+BF+CG}{\sqrt{A^2+B^2+C^2}\sqrt{E^2+F^2+G^2}})## where the equations of these two planes in general form are ##Ax+By+Cz=0## and ##Dx+Ey+Fz=0##. Now, the only thing left to do is determine the values of ##A##, ##B##, ##C##, ##D##, ##E##, and ##F##. For math problems, this information is usually given in some way or another.

I'd like to know how to determine these values when doing something IRL, like for something @arydberg is doing?

Last edited:
Pick a vertex. Consider only the faces of the polyhedron which share that vertex. Now, imagine cutting one edge and laying the resulting shape out flat, like a dressmaker's pattern. Now, consider how much angle each edge would have to be folded through to recreate the original polyhedron's vertex. That is, how much angle is required to rotate the cut edges enough so that they coincide as one edge again. You can use the angle of edge bending to compute the dihedral angle.

Also, if you know them you can use the geometric properties of the polyhedron, such as the relation between edge length and the distance from the center of the polyhedron to the center of a face. Then simply consider a triangle with one vertex at the polyhedron's center, one at the center of a face, and the third at the center of one of that face's edges.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
The Bill said:
Pick a vertex. Consider only the faces of the polyhedron which share that vertex. Now, imagine cutting one edge and laying the resulting shape out flat, like a dressmaker's pattern. Now, consider how much angle each edge would have to be folded through to recreate the original polyhedron's vertex. That is, how much angle is required to rotate the cut edges enough so that they coincide as one edge again. You can use the angle of edge bending to compute the dihedral angle.

Also, if you know them you can use the geometric properties of the polyhedron, such as the relation between edge length and the distance from the center of the polyhedron to the center of a face. Then simply consider a triangle with one vertex at the polyhedron's center, one at the center of a face, and the third at the center of one of that face's edges.
Pick a vertex. Consider only the faces of the polyhedron which share that vertex. Now, imagine cutting one edge and laying the resulting shape out flat, like a dressmaker's pattern.

The angles of the pentagon measure 108 degrees , three of them add to 324 degrees. The three small angles measure (360 - 324 )/3 or 12 degrees.

Now, consider how much angle each edge would have to be folded through to recreate the original polyhedron's vertex. That is, how much angle is required to rotate the cut edges enough so that they coincide as one edge again. You can use the angle of edge bending to compute the dihedral angle.

How do you do this?

And where do you use the 12 degree angles?

What level of mathematics education have you had? If you think about what I've said and draw some diagrams of the way the faces fit together flattened in the plane and assembled as a polyhedron, you should be able to work this out.

I'm assuming you know geometry at least at the level of a high school level axiomatic geometry class. I'm trying to give you enough insight to work out the solutions for yourself, so you'll know how to derive the answers to similar problems in the future.

What you said was implied. Yes it is the way to begin but i know that. I asked for an answer.

Right now it appears the best way is to do this is to start with cube. That way the answers are known. ps I am 74.

arydberg said:
ps I am 74.
Centimetres??

:DD

Here's a site which shows sine helpful calculations: http://thales.math.uqam.ca/~rowland/investigations/polyhedra.html

Their second formula relates a polyhedron's volume to its edge length and apothem. Combine that with their calculation for the volume of the dodecahedron given its edge length. That let's you derive an expression for the apothem given the edge length of a dodecahedron.

Then, pick a face of the dodecahedron. Make a right triangle with one vertex at the center of the face, one vertex at the center of an edge of that face, and the third vertex at the center of the dodecahedron.

Since each face is a regular pentagon, the inradius of the face is s/(2tan(π/5)). Now you have a right triangle, and know two of its side lengths. In this case, the inverse tangent of their ratios will give you the angle of this triangle at the point where the faces meet.

Since the dihedral angle of a polyhedron is defined to be the internal angle where the faces meet, it is just double the angle you calculated in the previous paragraph.

DaveC426913 said:
Centimetres??

:DD
Years. You implied I was in high school.

arydberg said:
You implied I was in high school.
Not I. :smile:

arydberg said:
Years. You implied I was in high school.

No, I assumed for the sake of discussion that you know geometry of at least a high school level. I never implied or stated anything about what you are doing currently.

The Bill said:
No, I assumed for the sake of discussion that you know geometry of at least a high school level. I never implied or stated anything about what you are doing currently.
Never mind. I will figure it out myself.

Related to Make a Perfect Dodecahedron: What Angle to Cut Plywood?

1. How do I determine the angle to cut plywood for a perfect dodecahedron?

The angle to cut plywood for a perfect dodecahedron can be calculated using trigonometry. The formula is: angle = arctan(2/(sqrt(5)-1)). This will give you the angle in degrees.

2. Can I use any type of plywood for making a perfect dodecahedron?

Yes, you can use any type of plywood as long as it is strong and sturdy enough to hold the shape of the dodecahedron. It is recommended to use a high-quality, smooth plywood for best results.

3. How many pieces of plywood do I need to make a perfect dodecahedron?

You will need 12 identical pieces of plywood to make a perfect dodecahedron. Each piece will have to be cut at the same angle to ensure the edges fit together perfectly.

4. Can I make a perfect dodecahedron without using any tools?

No, you will need some basic tools such as a saw, measuring tape, and a protractor to accurately cut the plywood at the correct angle. A ruler and pencil will also be useful for marking and measuring the cuts.

5. Are there any tips for assembling a perfect dodecahedron?

Yes, it is important to label each piece of plywood with its corresponding face number before cutting and assembling. This will help ensure that the pieces are aligned correctly and the dodecahedron is symmetrical. Additionally, it is helpful to sand the edges of the plywood pieces before assembling for a smoother and more seamless finish.