Make a Eddy Current to Hover - A DIY Project

In summary, the person is trying to make a device that will hover using magnets. The magnets need to be spun to make the device hover. The device is too heavy and the motor stalls at 200 grams.
pompom15

Homework Statement

There is 4 neodynium magnets. It is 0.7 inch magnet. A 15,000 RPM motor. It does not hover. I am trying to make a eddy current to make it hover1. The attempt at a solution
Getting a copper plate, having a better magnet.

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you trying to get it to hover?

I am making the magnets spin.

How are you trying to get the magnets to spin? In what way do you want them to spin?
What is happening instead?

First you say "it does not hover" but do not say what you want to hover or why you would expect it to hover ... now you say you just want the magnets to spin. Which is it?
You need to be more detailed and consistent than that or we cannot help you. Please recall that none of us can see what you've done and there are a numbers of things you could have tried (including a large number of wrong things). Please help us to help you.

Likes epenguin
I am trying to get the disk to hover. It is spinning clockwise. It just falls to the ground. The battery does not have full power.

Not enough information.
Imagine that I have not seen what you have attempted and you need to describe it to me so that I have an accurate mental picture. I have seen many different ways to use lenzes law for levitation so I just need to work out which method you are trying. So far "I spin the magnet and it falls down" is unhelpful - there are an any number of ways to spin a magnet and all I can tell from this description is that you are using one of the millions of wrong ways. Don't make me guess.

So: what is it about the assembly you have that leads you to think it should be able to levitate?
I need details. Is it a secret?

Last edited:
The way I assemble it is by making a hole on a bottle cap that the motor can fit through it. The motor can spin the bottle cap like this. The video shows you how I am trying to make it hover. I am trying to make it hover like the Hendo White Box or the Hendo Hoverboard. The bottle cap is a big one. Like a milk jug bottle cap. The way it falls down is it just falls down like any thing else.

Again: not enough details. Your rig is clearly not exactly like this one.

You have to describe what you are doing in detail - starting from the video, what are you doing differently?
i.e. that one has 8 magnets, you have only mentioned one. So how many are you using?
Guessing: you have mounted some magnets around the outside of a plastic disk - which way up? Are they all facing the same way? What are the dimensions? How strong are the magnets? How heavy is the whole thing? What does the whole thing consist of exactly?

"A big one like..." does not tell me anything about size: imagine I am in another country and we don't have milk jugs like you do. Do you have rulers where you live?

It is far too difficult to get in formation from you for anyone to be able to help you out.

Last edited:
They are in the north south formation. The bottle cap is 4 x 4.5 cm. It is facing in front. By in front I mean facing up without the indent. The thing has 4 neodynium magnets 0.112 inches thick. It is 0.12 inches tall. It is 0.7 inches wide. 6 lb max pull. The motor stalls at 200 grams.The bottle cap is 4 grams. The magnets each weigh .1023 lbs. 453.592 is how much grams in a pound. The wires are stranded. It uses a 9 volt battery. The copper sheet is 0.025mm thick. I got the the info from the magnet on the store website. It is a hardware store. The motor is 15,000 RPM. The whole thing weighs 189.609996.

Sounds like you've avoided the obvious problems ... so you have the magnets with two N-side down and two S-side down, alternating?
It drops like there is no levitation at all? Hmmm... maybe it's just too heavy?

Try the obvious first:
Have you checked the magnets by dropping them through a metal pipe?
As a proof of concept, try using the motor to rotate an aluminium can about it's axis, lower a single magnet close to the rotating can to see if it will levitate it's own weight.

Related to Make a Eddy Current to Hover - A DIY Project

1. What is an eddy current and how does it work?

An eddy current is a type of electrical current that is induced in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This occurs due to Faraday's law of induction, which states that when a conductor is placed in a changing magnetic field, a current will be induced in the conductor.

2. What materials do I need to make a DIY eddy current hover project?

The materials needed for this project include a copper pipe, neodymium magnets, a power source, and an object to hover (such as a small metal disc). You will also need some basic tools such as pliers and wire cutters.

3. How does the eddy current hover project demonstrate the principles of electromagnetism?

The eddy current hover project demonstrates several principles of electromagnetism, including Faraday's law of induction, Lenz's law, and the relationship between electricity and magnetism. By creating a changing magnetic field with the magnets, and inducing eddy currents in the copper pipe, the project showcases the interaction between electricity and magnetism.

4. What are the potential applications of eddy currents in real-world industries?

Eddy currents have several practical applications in industries such as transportation, energy production, and manufacturing. They are commonly used in non-destructive testing to detect flaws or defects in metal components, as well as in magnetic braking systems for trains and roller coasters. They can also be used to generate electricity in power plants, and in induction heating processes for manufacturing.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with eddy currents?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when working with eddy currents. Since this project involves electricity and magnets, it is important to handle all materials carefully and avoid touching any exposed wires or magnets. It is also recommended to have adult supervision and to follow all safety guidelines and instructions carefully.