What is the derivative of the equation for volume?

• Thread starter stuckie27
  • Start date
In summary, the derivative of the given equation is 6πr + \frac{ r (\frac{18/pir^2}{3/pir^5}) –(2,000,000 – (\frac{2}{3\pir^3}){r^2}, which can be simplified to \frac{7}{3}\pi r^2 + 2\times 10^6 r^{-1}. The dimensions that will require the least amount of metal for a metal storage tank with a volume of 1000 liters in the shape of a right cylinder surmounted by a hemisphere can be found by solving for r and h using the equations provided. The solution is r^3 = \frac
stuckie27
Smiple Equation.

What is the derative of 3pi*r^2+ ((2,000,000-(2/3pi*r^3))/r)

Do you use the quotient rule

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It'd work, but it's more work than you need to do.

That same expression can be written as

[tex]\frac{7}{3}\pi r^2 + 2\times 10^6 r^{-1}[/tex]

which can be differentiated easily.

cookiemonster

Last edited:
Yup you use the quotient rule. This is what I got when I did (warning, I am prone to make arithmetic mistakes)

[itex] 6\pir + \frac{ r (\frac{18/pir^2}{3/pir^5}) –(2,000,000 – (\frac{2}{3\pir^3}){r^2} [/itex]

JonF said:
(warning, I am prone to make arithmetic mistakes)

I agree, which is why you should simplify the expression before differentiating it.

cookiemonster

Thanks for the quick reply.

3 cookies for cookiemonster (extra choclate chip)

how did you simplify the equation?

sigh... waste of good time on these trivial problems...

Distributed the r^(-1) in the second term and then combined coefficients of like powers of r.

And a trivial problem to you, Ebolamonk3y, may not be trivial to somebody else.

cookiemonster

6\pir + \frac{ r (\frac{18/pir^2}{3/pir^5}) –(2,000,000 – (\frac{2}{3\pir^3}){r^2}

What is this? \frac{ r (\frac{18/pir^2}{3/pir^5}) Its not in my origional equation

use [tex]...

Ebolamonk3y said:
sigh... waste of good time on these trivial problems...

Any reason for this comment?

Is this not a calc help forum?

I can write you the full prolbem if you would like to solve the whole thing.

Here It is

A metal storage tank with a volume of 1000 liters is to be constructed in the shape of a right cylinder surmounted by a hemisphere. What dimentions will require the least amount of metal?

It's supposed to be the expression for the derivative of your original expression. I think. I can't read it well enough to really know, though.

cookiemonster

Let's not turn this into a flame war, okay?

cookiemonster

Well... long time ago I proposed this huge problem that I made up for a friend of mine... by the end of it I noticed that the problem didn't led to anywhere but a handful of arithemetic exercises... And that doesn't serve any purpose, I am not udnersetanding more just because I did some rote problems... It was some derivative involving the chainrule and this stuff where there is so many layers and functions of functions that one get lost it in and finally one wonders, what is this for? Waste of time for me... So that's why I said that... Take no offense, that is how I felt about my experience...

Like... if one wants to really find antiderivated to e^(x^2)... because one didn't read about it, one this they can use some stuff on it and then they realize... :(

Sorry about that.

[sarcasm] But… but… my brain can beat up your brain [/sarcasm]

heh. perhaps. my mind is afflicted with many things like depression to easily succumb to an incoming invasion of anothers mind. :p

Lets start from scratch.
The volume is the sum of the volume of a hemisphere and a cylinder.
[tex] V= \frac 2 3 \pi r^3 + \pi r^2 h [/tex]
The surface area is
[tex] S= 2 \pi r h + 2 \pi r^2 [/tex]
Isolate h in the Volumn equation.
[tex] h = \frac {V- \frac 2 3 \pi r^2} {\pi r^2}[/tex]
plug into the Surface area equation.
[tex] S= 2 \pi r \frac {V- \frac 2 3 \pi r^2} {\pi r^2} + 2 \pi r^2 [/tex]

[tex] S= \frac {2 V} r + \frac 2 3 \pi r^2 [/tex]
Compute the derivative.
[tex] \frac {dS} {dr} = - \frac {2V} {r^2} + \frac 4 3 \pi r = 0 [/tex]
Solve for r
[tex] -2V + \frac 4 3 \pi r^3 = 0[/tex]

[tex] r^3 = \frac {3V} {2 \pi} [/tex]

Complete by solving for h.

Last edited:

What is a Derivative Question?

A Derivative Question is a type of question that is based on or derived from another question. It is usually used to further explore a topic or to gain a deeper understanding of a concept.

How is a Derivative Question different from a regular question?

A Derivative Question is different from a regular question in that it is based on a specific topic or concept and is usually more complex and thought-provoking. It requires a deeper understanding of the topic and often leads to further discussions and exploration.

Why are Derivative Questions important in scientific research?

Derivative Questions are important in scientific research because they allow scientists to delve deeper into a topic and gain a more thorough understanding. They also help to generate new ideas and perspectives, leading to further research and advancements in the field.

What are some examples of Derivative Questions in scientific research?

Some examples of Derivative Questions in scientific research include: "How does this study relate to previous research on the same topic?", "What are the potential practical applications of this research?", and "What further studies could be conducted to build upon these findings?"

How can scientists effectively use Derivative Questions in their research?

Scientists can effectively use Derivative Questions in their research by carefully considering the topic and purpose of their study, and then using these questions to guide their research and analysis. It is also important to continuously ask new Derivative Questions throughout the research process to further expand and refine the study.