Major in CS or Physics? Vote [Strawpoll]

In summary: Make sure that your goals align with those of the institution you are choosing to attend, and take the time to do your research.
victormarte
I've been going to school for 6+ years now chasing my bachelors, changing my major constantly. Unfortunately, loans are piling up and I need to support my family ASAP. I'm a physics major now, but I won't be going to grad school for GPA/No patience for it reasons. Anyway, I have two options (listed in the Tldr), both will take a year and a half to complete starting next semester. What should I do?

My background: I mostly enjoy physics, and I don't know if I'll be joyous about computer science since I've never done it, but I feel like I'll probably at least kinda enjoy it because I love figuring out how things work, and math is just so damned fun! Since I won't be doing grad school, a bachelor in physics, in my opinion, isn't very good in industry, I've heard the minor/major in physics pairs very well with other majors though.

Tldr; Should I get a BA in CS, Minor in Math, and Minor in Physics? Or, BS in physics, and Minor in Math?

Feel free to vote: http://www.strawpoll.me/12035453

Physics news on Phys.org
If your goal is to support your family ASAP, is sticking around to complete an education that you are unsure about really the best course of action? There are a lot of advantages to completing an undergraduate degree, of course, but if you need a poll from random people online to tell you what to major in - are you going to be able to stick with the result? Or are you going to be back here in six months with seven years of school under your belt and a poll between electrical engineering and statistics?

I'm not trying to dissuade you from pursuing an education. It's just the motivation needs to come from inside.

Likes StatGuy2000
No don't make your life based on a poll...people don't know you or what you want.

I would say CS as you need to support your family. but if you don't enjoy programming, theoretical stuff like algorithm and data structures, computer architecture etc then it will be totture.

Choppy said:
If your goal is to support your family ASAP, is sticking around to complete an education that you are unsure about really the best course of action? There are a lot of advantages to completing an undergraduate degree, of course, but if you need a poll from random people online to tell you what to major in - are you going to be able to stick with the result? Or are you going to be back here in six months with seven years of school under your belt and a poll between electrical engineering and statistics?

I'm not trying to dissuade you from pursuing an education. It's just the motivation needs to come from inside.

I'm sure I enjoy physics enough and have the motivation to finish it, however, my problem lies at the potential inability to get a decent job at a bachelor level with OK gpa. Reading the posts on these forums and Reddit forums, it's been suggested by one user who put it eloquently that physics [at a bachelor level] should be your passion study, ie, not your primary study due to job prospects, so pursue it after you are finished with your primary one. I am thinking about heeding this advice (finishing my bachelors in physics at a later time) so long as my situation is still tolerable after the CS degree. At the very least, I can probably nail a decent job and take a class or two at a time after my CS degree.

Last edited:
CS.

Physics is hard, most likely a bad choice for someone who is unsure.

In my personal opinion, if you know you won't be going to grad school, then all else being equal, it may be wiser to pursue a BS in CS (with possible minors in math and physics, if you so choose) than a BS in physics.

However, please note the above bolded words above. Are you absolutely certain at this stage that you don't want to pursue graduate studies?

I would also add (repeating what others have commented on here) that making an important decision such as finishing your university education should not be based on a straw poll from strangers.

Likes Logical Dog

Related to Major in CS or Physics? Vote [Strawpoll]

What is the difference between a major in CS and a major in Physics?

A major in CS focuses on the study of computer systems, software, and computing technologies, while a major in Physics focuses on the study of matter, energy, and the laws of the universe.

Which major is more math-intensive?

Both CS and Physics majors require a strong foundation in mathematics. However, a major in Physics typically requires more advanced mathematics courses such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra.

What career opportunities are available for CS and Physics majors?

A major in CS can lead to careers in software development, data analysis, and information technology, while a major in Physics can lead to careers in research, engineering, and education.

Which major is better for someone interested in artificial intelligence?

Both CS and Physics provide a strong foundation for studying artificial intelligence. However, a major in CS may be more beneficial as it directly focuses on the development and application of AI technologies.

Can I double major in CS and Physics?

Yes, it is possible to double major in CS and Physics. However, it may require careful planning and a heavier course load. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to determine if a double major is feasible for your academic goals.