Hang vertically downward are connected by a pulley

• Thread starter StephenPrivitera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the work done by gravity on the smaller mass in this problem is calculated to be 2400J, but the correct answer is 1.8x10^3J. This is due to the mistake of equating the tension of the rope to the weight of the smaller mass, when in fact the tension is equal to the weight of the larger mass minus the weight of the smaller mass. Correcting this error results in the correct solution.
StephenPrivitera
Find the work done by gravity when two masses (42kg and 75kg) which hang vertically downward are connected by a pulley. The masses are initially at rest. The mass move under the influence of gravity for 2.0s. Assume no friction in the pulley.

My solution:
Considering the larger mass m1, the work done by gravity on m1 is
W1=w1*d, where W1 is the work done on m1 by gravity, w1 is the force of gravity acting on m1, and d is the distance traversed by m1 in the time period. d is the same for both m1 and m2 (the smaller mass) since both move under the influence of gravity and therefore have the same acceleration. The net force on m1 is the force of gravity on m1 minus the tension of the rope (if downward is to be the positive direction). The tension of the rope is equivalent in magnitude to the weight of m2. Thus, F(net)1=g*(m1-m2)=m1*a. This distance traversed by m1 is then d=g/(2m1)*(m1-m2)(t^2). The work done by gravity on m1 is then
W1=g*m1*g/(2m1)*(m1-m2)(t^2)=(g^2)/2*(m1-m2)(t^2)=6300J
Without calculating, I can see that the work done by gravity on the other mass should be equivalent in magnitude to this answer.

Book's answer: 1.8x10^3J

Where did I go wrong?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The tension of the rope is equivalent in magnitude to the weight of m2.
This is obviously wrong, as m2 is accelerating upwards, showing a net resultant force on m2 of m2*a.

Try instead to work out an expression for T for each mass, and equate the Ts to get the acceleration.

Hi Stephen, and welcome to PF.

Originally posted by StephenPrivitera
My solution:
Considering the larger mass m1, the work done by gravity on m1 is
W1=w1*d, where W1 is the work done on m1 by gravity, w1 is the force of gravity acting on m1, and d is the distance traversed by m1 in the time period. d is the same for both m1 and m2 (the smaller mass) since both move under the influence of gravity and therefore have the same acceleration. The net force on m1 is the force of gravity on m1 minus the tension of the rope (if downward is to be the positive direction).

OK

The tension of the rope is equivalent in magnitude to the weight of m2.

This is a mistake. Remember that m2 is accelerating, so Newton's 2nd law for m2 reads is:

ΣFy=T-m2g=m2a2.

T does not equal m2g!

Try implementing that correction into your solution and see what you come up with.

Thanks for the help. To show you I learned my lesson, I performed this little exercise. Please check my work.
I figured that the problem above was just a specific instance of the general case below (where A1=A2=pi/2). Both masses are on frictionless surfaces. They are attached by a rope which runs along a frictionless pulley. See the attached diagram. I'll show my work briefly (since I'm sure you know much more than I do, this should be very easy to follow).
I figured out that the problem becomes very simple if I treat the rope as if it were straight (and rotate the other forces accordingly). Then I don't have to worry about vector notation using two different coordinate systems. Anyway,
T - m1*g*sin(A1) = m1*a
a = (1/m1)(T-m1*g*sin(A1)) = (1/m2)(m2*g*sin(A2) - T)
T = (m1*m2*g)/(m1 + m2)*(sin(A1) + sin(A2))
When A1=A2=pi/2
T = 2(m1*m2*g)/(m1 + m2)
Thanks again!

I was so confident in this result, but it doesn't appear to be right either. Using my work above, I'm still getting 2400J for the work on the smaller mass in the original problem. What am I doing wrong?
W=FgD=m2*g*1/2*(Fnet)/m2*t^2 = g/2*t^2*Fnet
For Fnet I have Fnet = T - m2*g = 2(m1*m2*g)/(m1 + m2) - m2*g
W = 1/2*(tg)^2*m2*[2m1/(m1+m2)-1]
From there it's just plugging in numbers. Where did I go wrong?

Attachments

• pulley.bmp
    91.5 KB · Views: 600

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that is used to lift or move objects. It consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs over the wheel. The rope can be pulled to move the object attached to it.

2. How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by changing the direction of the force needed to lift or move an object. Instead of applying force directly upwards, a pulley allows the force to be applied horizontally, making it easier to lift the object. The pulley also distributes the weight of the object evenly, making it easier to lift.

3. How are objects connected by a pulley hung vertically downward?

Objects connected by a pulley are hung vertically downward by attaching one end of the rope to the object and running it over the pulley, then attaching the other end of the rope to a support above the pulley. This creates a system where the object can be lifted or moved by pulling on the rope.

4. What are some examples of objects connected by a pulley hung vertically downward?

Some common examples of objects connected by a pulley hung vertically downward include elevators, cranes, flagpoles, and sailboat rigging. Pulleys are also used in gym equipment, such as weight machines, to make lifting heavy objects easier.

5. What are the advantages of using a pulley for vertical hanging?

The main advantage of using a pulley for vertical hanging is that it reduces the amount of force needed to lift or move an object. This can be especially useful when dealing with heavy objects. Additionally, using a pulley can also help to distribute the weight of the object more evenly, making it easier to control and move. Pulleys are also simple and easy to use, making them a popular choice for lifting and moving objects vertically.