Magnitude of vector, negative in part.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of an acceleration vector and the mistake the person made in their attempt at a solution. They ultimately realize their mistake and are able to solve the problem correctly. The other person offers helpful tips for future equations such as using itex tags to enclose entire equations or expressions.
feathermoon
This is actually not a full problem, just a part of one I'm having trouble with:

Homework Statement

If I have a acceleration vector, say [ b[itex]k^{2}[/itex][itex]e^{kt}[/itex] - b[itex]c^{2}[/itex][itex]e^{kt}[/itex] ][itex]e_{r}[/itex] + [ 2bkc[itex]e^{kt}[/itex] ] [itex]e_{θ}[/itex]. How can I find its magnitude?

Homework Equations

Mag vector |a| = (a^2)^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

As I square [itex]_{e}r[/itex], the cross term is still negative under the radical, and doesn't subtract cleanly:

[ [itex]b^{2}k^{4}e^{kt}[/itex] + [itex]b^{2}c^{4}e^{kt}[/itex] - 2[itex]b^{2}k^{2}c^{2}e^{kt}[/itex] ][itex]^{1/2}[/itex]

I'm either doing some wrong algebra or missing something obvious I think?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well I'm stupid.. neglected e_theta completely out of sheer confusion from the first part... guess what it does when you add it in.

...Maybe this thread should be deleted. U_U Sometimes I just need a new perspective I guess.

Glad it worked out. FYI, I have two comments to help you in the future:

1. Note that [itex](e^{kt})^2 = e^{2kt}, \text{ not } e^{kt}[/itex]

2. You can enclose an entire equation or large expression in itex-/itex tags, you do not need to use separate itex-/itex tags for selected terms.

So instead of

[ [itex]bk^{2}[/itex][itex]e^{kt}[/itex] - b[itex]c^{2}[/itex][itex]e^{kt}[/itex] ][itex]e_{r}[/itex] + [ 2bkc[itex]e^{kt}[/itex] ] [itex]e_{θ}[/itex]

you can write

[itex] [ bk^{2}e^{kt} - bc^{2}e^{kt} ] e_{r} + [ 2bkce^{kt} ] e_{θ} [/itex]

which gives you

[itex] [ bk^{2}e^{kt} - bc^{2}e^{kt} ] e_{r} + [ 2bkce^{kt} ] e_{θ} [/itex]

Thanks Redbelly! I did have e^kt as e^2kt in my calculation, I just forgot to transcribe that correctly.

The itex thing on the other hand will probably save me some time on my next questions! :D

It appears that you are trying to find the magnitude of the acceleration vector using the formula |a| = √(a^2), which is correct. However, your algebra may be incorrect. Let's take a closer look at the vector:

a = [ bk^{2}e^{kt} - bc^{2}e^{kt} ]e_{r} + [ 2bkce^{kt} ] e_{θ}

We can rewrite this as:

a = [ bk^{2}e^{kt} - bc^{2}e^{kt} ]e_{r} + [ 2bkce^{kt} ] e_{θ}

= [ bk^{2}e^{kt} - bc^{2}e^{kt} ](cosθ, sinθ) + [ 2bkce^{kt} ] (-sinθ, cosθ)

= [ bk^{2}e^{kt} - bc^{2}e^{kt} ]cosθ + [ 2bkce^{kt} ](-sinθ)

= bk^{2}e^{kt}cosθ - bc^{2}e^{kt}cosθ - 2bkce^{kt}sinθ

Now, we can use the formula for the magnitude:

|a| = √[(bk^{2}e^{kt}cosθ - bc^{2}e^{kt}cosθ - 2bkce^{kt}sinθ)^2]

= √(b^2k^4e^{2kt}cos^2θ - 2b^2k^2c^2e^{2kt}cosθsinθ + b^2c^4e^{2kt}cos^2θ + 4b^2k^2c^2e^{2kt}sin^2θ - 4b^2kce^{2kt}sinθcosθ)

= √(b^2k^4e^{2kt}cos^2θ + b^2c^4e^{2kt}cos^2θ + 4b^2k^2c^2e^{2kt}sin^2θ - 4b^2kce^{2kt}sinθcosθ)

= √(b^2k^4e^{2kt} + b^2c^4e^{2kt} + 4b^2

Related to Magnitude of vector, negative in part.

1. What is the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is the length or size of the vector. It is represented by a positive number and is always equal to or greater than zero.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

To calculate the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the magnitude is equal to the sum of the squares of the vector's components. In other words, the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's x, y, and z components.

3. What does a negative magnitude of a vector indicate?

A negative magnitude of a vector does not have a physical meaning. It is usually an indication of a calculation error or a misinterpretation of the vector's direction.

4. Can a vector have a negative magnitude?

No, a vector cannot have a negative magnitude. Magnitude is a scalar quantity and is always represented by a positive number.

5. How is the magnitude of a vector represented?

The magnitude of a vector is usually represented by using the vector's name with a double vertical bar symbol (||) surrounding it. For example, the magnitude of vector v would be represented as ||v||.