Magnitude of the total momentum of both blocks

In summary, to find the magnitude of momentum for both blocks in a before and after collision situation, you can take the momentum of either the before or after part of the collision, as momentum is conserved. This can be done using the equation p=mv.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

Find magnitude of momentum of both blocks

Homework Equations

p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I am doing my homework right now and just need help understanding finding the total momentum given a before collision/ after collision situation. So i am unsure if i should take the momentum of the whole system from before and after by adding them together and then find the momentum based off of that? That is what i am thinking
Given a before after situation like this
momentu,.PNG

Attachments

• momentu,.PNG
    momentu,.PNG
    4 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
wait since momentum is conserved i think i can just take the momentum of either the before or after part of the collision

i just tested it using graphical method and i realized i can use either the momentum of the before or after collision.

it does not matter

Related to Magnitude of the total momentum of both blocks

1. What is the definition of momentum?

Momentum is a measure of the motion of an object and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum calculated?

The momentum of an object is calculated by multiplying its mass (m) by its velocity (v), represented by the equation p = mv.

3. What is the significance of the magnitude of total momentum in the context of two blocks colliding?

In a collision between two objects, the total momentum of the system is conserved. This means that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. The magnitude of the total momentum can help determine the outcome of the collision and the resulting velocities of the objects.

4. How does the mass and velocity of each block affect the magnitude of the total momentum?

The mass of each block directly affects the magnitude of the total momentum. The larger the mass, the greater the momentum. The velocity of each block also plays a role, as a higher velocity results in a higher momentum. However, the direction of the velocity must also be taken into account in the calculation of the total momentum.

5. What are some real-world examples of the conservation of momentum in two block collisions?

One example is a car collision, where the momentum of each car before the collision is equal to the momentum of the two cars after the collision. Another example is a billiard ball collision, where the momentum of the cue ball is transferred to the object ball, resulting in a change in direction and velocity for both balls.