Magnitude of the initial velocity of projectile

In summary, the initial velocity of the projectile can be determined by using the equations y = viy•t +0.5•ay•t2 and vix = vi•cos(θ). The target is hit at a distance of 1210 m away with an initial velocity making an angle of 26o with the horizontal. Using a triangle with angle 26o and x=605, the maximum height is calculated to be 265.214m. To calculate the initial velocity, the next step is to solve for time and use the equation vfy = viy + ay*t. A suggested approach is to use the general derivation of the range of a projectile found in many texts.
vectorunits
A cannon sends a projectile towards a target a distance 1210 m away. The initial velocity makes an angle 26o with the horizontal. The target is hit. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
What is the magnitude of the initial velocity?
Answer in units of m/s

y = viy•t +0.5•ay•t2
vix = vi•cos(Theta)
vfy = viy + ay*t
I made a triangle with angle 26o, x=605, then solve for Ymax then got 265.214m. I think the next step is solving for time to get some kind of velocity of X or Y. Is 265m correct, what do I solve for next and how?
Any suggestions or advice welcome

Physics news on Phys.org
vectorunits said:
A cannon sends a projectile towards a target a distance 1210 m away. The initial velocity makes an angle 26o with the horizontal. The target is hit. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
What is the magnitude of the initial velocity?
Answer in units of m/s

y = viy•t +0.5•ay•t2
vix = vi•cos(Theta)
vfy = viy + ay*t
I made a triangle with angle 26o, x=605, then solve for Ymax then got 265.214m. I think the next step is solving for time to get some kind of velocity of X or Y. Is 265m correct, what do I solve for next and how?
Any suggestions or advice welcome

Homework Statement

Edit: even wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_of_a_projectile

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Many texts have a derivation of the range of a projectile in general terms, which express the answer merely in terms of the speed and angle of projection [it only applies for level round]. You can use that to solve directly. The derivation is often presented as part of the proof of desired angle for maximum range.

Related to Magnitude of the initial velocity of projectile

What is the definition of "Magnitude of the initial velocity of projectile"?

The magnitude of the initial velocity of a projectile refers to the size or amount of the initial velocity, which is the speed and direction at which the projectile is launched.

How is the magnitude of the initial velocity of a projectile calculated?

The magnitude of the initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the equation V = √(Vx^2 + Vy^2), where Vx is the horizontal component of the velocity and Vy is the vertical component of the velocity.

Why is the magnitude of the initial velocity important in projectile motion?

The magnitude of the initial velocity is important because it determines the range, height, and flight time of the projectile. It also affects the trajectory and the ultimate outcome of the projectile's motion.

What factors affect the magnitude of the initial velocity of a projectile?

The magnitude of the initial velocity of a projectile is affected by the angle of launch, the force of the launch, and any external forces such as air resistance or gravity. The mass and shape of the projectile can also play a role in determining the magnitude of the initial velocity.

How does the magnitude of the initial velocity of a projectile change over time?

In the absence of external forces, the magnitude of the initial velocity of a projectile remains constant throughout its flight. However, external forces can cause changes in the velocity, resulting in changes to the magnitude of the initial velocity over time.