Magnitude of the E-Field at the center of curvature

In summary: It is more convenient to define θ in such a way that it represents the angle that the electric field ##d\vec{E}## makes to the horizontal. In this way, θ can also be thought of as the angle that the line that bisects the arc makes to the horizontal.Yes, that's a good point.
Sho Kano

Homework Statement

A circular rod has a radius of curvature R = 8.11 cm, and a uniformly distributed positive charge Q = 6.25 pC and subtends an angle theta = 2.40 rad. What is the magnitude of the electric field that Q produces at the center of curvature?

Homework Equations

E = kQ/r^2
6.25 pC --> 6.25e-12 C

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]dE\quad =\quad \frac { kdq }{ { r }^{ 2 } } \quad \quad dq=\lambda ds\\ E\quad =\quad k\lambda \int { \frac { ds }{ { r }^{ 2 } } cos\theta \quad \quad } ds=rd\theta \\ E\quad =\quad k\lambda \int { \frac { rd\theta }{ { r }^{ 2 } } cos\theta \quad \quad } \\ E\quad =\quad \frac { k\lambda }{ r } \int _{ 0 }^{ 2.4 }{ cos\theta } d\theta \quad \quad \lambda =\frac { q }{ s } =\frac { q }{ r\theta } \\ E\quad =\quad \frac { kq }{ \theta { r }^{ 2 } } sin(2.4)\\ E\quad =\quad 2.4e-4\quad N/C[/itex]

Is this the right answer? What do you guys suggest?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your limits of integration do not look correct. Be sure you draw a diagram and indicate θ. Also, note that cm is not the SI unit for length.

TSny said:
Your limits of integration do not look correct. Be sure you draw a diagram and indicate θ. Also, note that cm is not the SI unit for length.
Untitled.png

(theta = 2.4 rad)
I can't visualize any other situation that would change the limits of integration

You didn't indicate how θ is measured in your diagram. Also, you should draw the electric field ##d\vec{E}## at the center of curvature that is produced by a small element of charge and show the angle that the field makes to the central axis (the line that you drew and labeled r). Is the angle that ##d\vec{E}## makes to the central axis the same as the angle θ?

Sorry for the late response, here is what I am getting,
Untitled.png

Seems like the angle is theta+pi

Sho Kano said:
Sorry for the late response, here is what I am getting,
View attachment 98825

Seems like the angle is theta+pi
I'm not following. A good place to set θ = 0 is the midpoint of the arc. See below.

Attachments

• E field of arc.png
    E field of arc.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 593
TSny said:
I'm not following. A good place to set θ = 0 is the midpoint of the arc. See below.
Yep, was the dE right for my case?

Sho Kano said:
Yep, was the dE right for my case?
Yes, I believe so. And, yes, ##\vec{dE}## makes an angle of ##\theta + \pi## from the θ = 0 direction.

TSny said:
Yes, I believe so. And, yes, ##\vec{dE}## makes an angle of ##\theta + \pi## from the θ = 0 direction.
Now, I'm getting the limits of integration from
0+pi
to
2.4+pi
is this right?

(using the same integral equation from the original post)

Sho Kano said:
Now, I'm getting the limits of integration from
0+pi
to
2.4+pi
is this right?

(using the same integral equation from the original post)
No. You want to integrate from one end of the charge distribution to the other end. What is the value of θ at each end of the charged rod?

TSny said:
No. You want to integrate from one end of the charge distribution to the other end. What is the value of θ at each end of the charged rod?
-1.2 to 1.2? from your picture

Sho Kano said:
-1.2 to 1.2? from your picture
Yes.

TSny said:
Yes.
I'm getting 6.64N/C, is this the right answer?

Yes, I believe that's correct.

TSny said:
Yes, I believe that's correct.
Thanks!

OK, good work. I hope you see why θ = 0 is chosen at the midpoint of the charged arc, rather than at one end. With θ = 0 at the midpoint, then θ also represents the angle that dE makes to the horizontal.

Attachments

• E field of arc 2.png
    E field of arc 2.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 482
TSny said:
OK, good work. I hope you see why θ = 0 is chosen at the midpoint of the charged arc, rather than at one end. With θ = 0 at the midpoint, then θ also represents the angle that dE makes to the horizontal.
But isn't true even if it's chosen at one end?
upload_2016-4-10_13-12-45.png

Sho Kano said:
But isn't true even if it's chosen at one end?
View attachment 98908
Yes. Good point.

We know E will point along the symmetry axis of the arc (the line that bisects the arc). In my picture, the symmetry axis was the horizontal x-axis that bisects the arc. In your picture, the line that bisects the arc would be at 1.2 radians (68.8o) with respect to your x-axis. (The charged arc should extend beyond the y-axis in your picture.) In your picture, ##-\int_{\theta = 0}^{\theta = 2.4}dEcos \theta## would give just the horizontal component ##E_x##. There would also be a vertical component ##E_y = -\int_{\theta = 0}^{\theta = 2.4}dEsin \theta## that you would need to calculate. Then you could find the magnitude of E from these components.

It is more convenient to define θ in such a way that θ represents the angle that dE makes to the symmetry axis. That way, you only need to do one integral,##\int_{\theta = -1.2}^{\theta = 1.2}dEcos \theta##.

Last edited:
TSny said:
Yes. Good point.

We know E will point along the symmetry axis of the arc (the line that bisects the arc). In my picture, the symmetry axis was the horizontal x-axis that bisects the arc. In your picture, the line that bisects the arc would be at 1.2 radians (68.8o) with respect to your x-axis. (The charged arc should extend beyond the y-axis in your picture.) In your picture, ##-\int_{\theta = 0}^{\theta = 2.4}dEcos \theta## would give just the horizontal component ##E_x##. There would also be a vertical component ##E_y = -\int_{\theta = 0}^{\theta = 2.4}dEsin \theta## that you would need to calculate. Then you could find the magnitude of E from these components.

It is more convenient to define θ in such a way that θ represents the angle that dE makes to the symmetry axis. That way, you only need to do one integral,##\int_{\theta = -1.2}^{\theta = 1.2}dEcos \theta##.
Ah, I didn't notice that 2.4 rad was actually past the 90 deg mark. That means that the integral from 0 to 2.4 would be missing the vertical component (the one at 90 deg). Also, there will be negative values of cosine for the angles in the 2nd quadrant which would subtract from the overall E. field right?

Sho Kano said:
Ah, I didn't notice that 2.4 rad was actually past the 90 deg mark. That means that the integral from 0 to 2.4 would be missing the vertical component (the one at 90 deg).
I'm not sure which integral you are referring to here, the Ex = -∫dEcosθ integral or the Ey =-∫dEsinθ integral. Whether the arc goes past 90 degrees or not, the integrals will handle it. Even if the arc did not go past 90 degrees, you would still need to find both Ex and Ey for your picture.

Also, there will be negative values of cosine for the angles in the 2nd quadrant which would subtract from the overall E. field right?
The cosine integral (in your picture), gives the x component of E. The part of the rod that is in the first quadrant will contribute a negative amount to Ex. The part that is in the 2nd quadrant will contribute a positive amount to Ex. But the integral ##E_x = -\int_0^{2.4}dE \cos \theta## will automatically take care of the signs in the two quadrants. The contributions to Ey from all parts of the rod in both quadrants will be negative.

TSny said:
I'm not sure which integral you are referring to here, the Ex = -∫dEcosθ integral or the Ey =-∫dEsinθ integral. Whether the arc goes past 90 degrees or not, the integrals will handle it. Even if the arc did not go past 90 degrees, you would still need to find both Ex and Ey for your picture.The cosine integral (in your picture), gives the x component of E. The part of the rod that is in the first quadrant will contribute a negative amount to Ex. The part that is in the 2nd quadrant will contribute a positive amount to Ex. But the integral ##E_x = -\int_0^{2.4}dE \cos \theta## will automatically take care of the signs in the two quadrants. The contributions to Ey from all parts of the rod in both quadrants will be negative.
I understand, my original integral from 0 to 2.4 was missing the vertical component of the electric field. Choosing the limits from -1.2 to 1.2 makes it so that the positive sines exactly cancels with the negative sines- it's a more clever way of doing it.

Sho Kano said:
I understand, my original integral from 0 to 2.4 was missing the vertical component of the electric field. Choosing the limits from -1.2 to 1.2 makes it so that the positive sines exactly cancels with the negative sines- it's a more clever way of doing it.
Yes, good.

TSny said:
Yes, good.
Gotcha, Thanks!

Related to Magnitude of the E-Field at the center of curvature

1. What is the significance of the magnitude of the E-field at the center of curvature?

The magnitude of the E-field at the center of curvature is an important factor in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves. It helps determine the strength and direction of the electric field at a specific point, which can have implications for the movement and interaction of charged particles.

2. How is the magnitude of the E-field at the center of curvature calculated?

The magnitude of the E-field at the center of curvature can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the object creating the electric field, and r is the distance from the center of curvature to the point of interest.

3. Does the magnitude of the E-field at the center of curvature change with distance?

Yes, the magnitude of the E-field at the center of curvature decreases with distance according to the inverse square law. This means that as the distance from the center of curvature increases, the magnitude of the E-field decreases proportionally.

4. What factors can affect the magnitude of the E-field at the center of curvature?

The magnitude of the E-field at the center of curvature can be affected by various factors such as the charge of the object creating the electric field, the distance from the center of curvature, and the presence of other charged objects in the vicinity. Additionally, the type of material in the surrounding medium can also affect the magnitude of the E-field.

5. How does the magnitude of the E-field at the center of curvature relate to the curvature of the electric field lines?

The magnitude of the E-field at the center of curvature is directly related to the curvature of the electric field lines. The stronger the E-field, the more curved the field lines will be at the center of curvature. Conversely, a weaker E-field will result in less curved field lines at the center of curvature.