Magnitude of radial component of jerk along line of centres

In summary, the problem asks to show that the component of the jerk between two gravitating bodies along their line of centres has a magnitude of 2G(m1+m2)r(dot)/r3. By using the equations for acceleration and taking the derivative, it can be shown that this is indeed the case.
tim_from_oz

Homework Statement

Show that the component of the jerk along the line of centres of two gravitating bodies has magnitude 2G(m1+m2)r(dot)/r3.

Homework Equations

(Eq. 1) r(double dot) = - G(m1+m2)r(hat)/r2 (acceleration of body 2 relative to body 1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry for the (dots) and (hats), not sure how to put them on here.

Since I am only after the magnitude of the jerk radially between the two masses, and for each body this is equal to or opposite to Eq. 1, they can essentially be added, giving:

(Eq. 2) r(double dot) = 2G(m1+m2)r(hat)/r2

r(hat) is the unit vector, so this can be broken down into r(vector)/|r|, thus giving:

(Eq. 3) r(double dot) = 2G(m1+m2)r(vector)/r3

Finally, taking the derivative of the acceleration to get the jerk gives:

(Eq. 4) r(triple dot) = 2G(m1+m2)r(dot)/r3

This seems to have been too simple for me, so I think I've probably made some incorrect assumptions. I'm just looking for some guidance on whether I went down the right track or whether I should be heading down a different one.

This is an assessed problem, so just some guidance in the right direction would be appreciated as opposed to full solutions, etc.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
tim_from_oz said:
Finally, taking the derivative of the acceleration to get the jerk gives:

(Eq. 4) r(triple dot) = 2G(m1+m2)r(dot)/r3
Is the scalar r in the denominator not also a function of time?
(I feel that replacing the ##\hat r## with ##\frac{\vec r}{r}## was not helpful.)

Related to Magnitude of radial component of jerk along line of centres

1. What is the magnitude of radial component of jerk along line of centres?

The magnitude of radial component of jerk along line of centres is a measure of the rate of change of acceleration along the line connecting two objects, often used in physics and engineering to describe the movement and forces between objects.

2. How is the magnitude of radial component of jerk along line of centres calculated?

The magnitude of radial component of jerk along line of centres is calculated by taking the derivative of the radial component of acceleration along the line connecting two objects, with respect to time.

3. What is the significance of the magnitude of radial component of jerk along line of centres?

The magnitude of radial component of jerk along line of centres is significant in understanding the forces and movements between objects, particularly in situations where there is circular motion or rotation.

4. How is the magnitude of radial component of jerk along line of centres used in practical applications?

The magnitude of radial component of jerk along line of centres is used in various fields of study, such as physics, engineering, and biomechanics, to analyze and predict the effects of forces and movements on objects.

5. Can the magnitude of radial component of jerk along line of centres be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of radial component of jerk along line of centres can be negative, indicating a decrease in acceleration along the line connecting two objects. This can occur when there is a decrease in the force or change in direction of movement.