Magnitude of Perpendicular Component.

In summary: The final solution is: In summary, to determine the components of F that act along rod AC and perpendicular to it, you need to find a unit vector directed along the line from point A to point C and another unit vector directed along the line from point B to point D, which is in the direction of the force vector F. Then, you can use vector projection and dot product to find the parallel and perpendicular components of the force.
TalibanNinja

Homework Statement

Determine the components of F that act along rod AC and perpendicular to it. Point B is locateda distance f along the rod from end C http://imgur.com/iGJkN
Given:
F = 600 N
a = 4 m
b = 6 m
c = 4 m
d = 3 m
e = 4 m
f = 3 m

I have no clue where to start. please help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
If you knew that - for the sake of argument - the rod lay along the vector (1,2,3) and the force was acting along (8,-1,6), could you solve the problem?

how did you get those numbers.

I pulled them out of the air. I'm trying to find out what you know how to do.

I'll infer from your answer that your problem is that you don't know how to get the directions of the rod and the force, but could take it from there.

You need the vectors along the rod and the force. You can always get these by writing the position vectors of two points in the line of the rod/force and taking the difference.

The point A is on the rod. It lies a distance a directly above the origin, so its position vector is (0,0,a). Can you find another point on the rod, and two on the line of the force?

if i take the magnitude of the rod AC then subtract 3 m will i be able to get point B. then i would be able to find the vector components of force BD.

i found a solution her but it does not show all the steps and i can't understand it.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/48470460/113/Problem-2-116

Last edited by a moderator:
TalibanNinja said:

Homework Statement

Determine the components of F that act along rod AC and perpendicular to it. Point B is located a distance f along the rod from end C

http://imgur.com/iGJkN
Given:
F = 600 N
a = 4 m
b = 6 m
c = 4 m
d = 3 m
e = 4 m
f = 3 m

I have no clue where to start. please help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

attachment.php?attachmentid=51472&stc=1&d=1349274705.png

A start would be to find a unit vector directed along the line from point A to point C, and a unit vector directed along the line from point B to point D, the latter one being in the direction of the force vector, F.

Attachments

• iGJkN.png
    iGJkN.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 954
Last edited:
i have found the direction vector of AC, but i don't know how they got the "r" value.

i have gotten to the step where finding the parallel component of the vector. am i supposed to use dot product to find projection.

TalibanNinja said:
i have found the direction vector of AC, but i don't know how they got the "r" value.

TalibanNinja said:
i have gotten to the step where finding the parallel component of the vector. am i supposed to use dot product to find projection.
Please give some concrete results.

I can't give a definite response to such non-specific answers.

This problem has been solved

Related to Magnitude of Perpendicular Component.

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of the perpendicular component?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of the perpendicular component is given by |A|sinθ, where A is the vector and θ is the angle between the vector and the perpendicular line.

2. How is the magnitude of the perpendicular component related to the original vector?

The magnitude of the perpendicular component is always less than or equal to the magnitude of the original vector.

3. Can the magnitude of the perpendicular component be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of the perpendicular component can be negative if the angle between the vector and the perpendicular line is greater than 90 degrees.

4. How does the magnitude of the perpendicular component affect the direction of the vector?

The magnitude of the perpendicular component does not affect the direction of the vector. The direction of the vector is determined by the angle between the vector and the perpendicular line, while the magnitude is determined by the length of the vector.

5. What is the significance of calculating the magnitude of the perpendicular component?

Calculating the magnitude of the perpendicular component can be useful in analyzing vector quantities, such as force and velocity, in two-dimensional systems. It helps determine the components of a vector in a specific direction and can aid in solving various physics problems.