Magnitude of force on electron in magnetic field

In summary, an electron is initially accelerated by a voltage of 41300 V and then enters a region with a uniform magnetic field of .145 T perpendicular to its motion. The magnitude of the force on the electron due to the magnetic field can be calculated using the equation F=qvBsinθ. To find the velocity, the energy of the electron can be calculated using the equation qV=U, and then solving for v using the kinetic energy equation. Relativistic correction may need to be taken into account for an accurate calculation of the velocity.
jaydnul

Homework Statement

An electron in a vacuum is first accelerated by a voltage of 41300 V and then enters a region in which there is a uniform magnetic field of .145 T at right angles to the direction of the electron's motion.

What is the magnitude of the force on the electron due to the magnetic field?

Homework Equations

[itex]F=qvBsinθ[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I though the 41300 V was just a number to throw me off (they do that a lot), but now I think it is important. I know the charge, magnetic field, and sin90=1. So the only thing I'm missing is velocity, but I have no clue how to calculate that from the information I was given. Any help?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You can find the energy of an electron by using qV = U, where U is the Kinetic Energy of the particle. Then it's just a matter of solving for v from the KE equation.

EDIT: I should point out that the energy will be in eV, which you can then just use a conversion factor to get it into joules.

The electron is moving fast enough to warrant relativistic correction for calculating the velocity.

Perfect. Thanks

for your question. It is important to consider all the information given in a problem, as it could all be relevant to finding the solution. In this case, the initial voltage of 41300 V is important because it tells us that the electron has been accelerated and has a specific kinetic energy. This kinetic energy can be used to calculate the velocity of the electron using the equation KE = 1/2mv^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the electron, and v is the velocity.

Once you have calculated the velocity, you can use the equation F=qvBsinθ to find the magnitude of the force on the electron due to the magnetic field. Remember to use the charge of an electron, -1.602 x 10^-19 C, for q and the given values for B and θ.

I hope this helps. Keep in mind that in scientific problems, all information given is important and can be used to find the solution. It is also important to double check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations.

Related to Magnitude of force on electron in magnetic field

1. What is the magnitude of the force on an electron in a magnetic field?

The magnitude of the force on an electron in a magnetic field is determined by the equation F = qvB, where q is the charge of the electron, v is its velocity, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

2. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the force on an electron?

The direction of the magnetic field determines the direction of the force on an electron. The force will be perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the electron's velocity.

3. How does the velocity of the electron affect the magnitude of the force?

The magnitude of the force on an electron in a magnetic field is directly proportional to its velocity. This means that the faster the electron is moving, the greater the force will be.

4. Can the force on an electron in a magnetic field ever be zero?

Yes, the force on an electron in a magnetic field can be zero. This occurs when the velocity of the electron is parallel to the magnetic field, resulting in a direction of the force that is perpendicular to the electron's motion.

5. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the force on an electron?

The strength of the magnetic field directly influences the magnitude of the force on an electron. A stronger magnetic field will result in a greater force on the electron, while a weaker magnetic field will result in a smaller force.