Magnitude of Current through a Rectangular Loop, given the Magnetic field

In summary, a rectangular loop with dimensions 4.2 cm by 9.5 cm, carrying current I, produces a magnetic field at the center of the loop with a magnitude of 5.60×10−5 T and direction away from the viewer. The magnetic field is calculated using the Law of Biot and Savart, by integrating the Biot-Savart law over each side of the loop. The total magnetic field is the sum of the contributions from all four sides.
blastoise

Homework Statement

A rectangular loop with dimensions 4.2 cm by 9.5 carries current I. The current in the loop produces a magnetic field at the center of the loop that has magnitude 5.60×10−5 T and direction away from you as you view the plane of the loop.

Homework Equations

[tex] \vec{B}=\frac{μ_0}{4\pi} \frac{Id\vec{l}\times \vec{r}}{r^2} (1.0) \ \ :|\vec{B}| =5.60 \times 10^{-5}; μ_0:= 4\pi \times 10^{-7} .[/tex]

Where, dl is length, r hat is the unit vector, r^2 is source to point (would like to get this checked though not sure).

The Attempt at a Solution

Coordinate system: Holding up our left hand making an L with the index finger and thumb, let the thumb point in the + X direction index finger point in the +Y direction. Then the -Z direction will be defined in the direction we look.

Recall the unit vector is written in the form <i,j,k>. It becomes apparent using the "Right hand rule" the B field is pointing in the -k direction at all points; Thus, using the Principle of Superposition of Magnetic fields - The total magnetic field caused by several moving charges is the vector sum of the fields caused by the individual charges one can sum the magnetic field B created by the 4 wire segments(the dl vector is a vector with length dl, in the same direction as the current in the conductor).

Let B_1 be when L = 9.5 cm = .095m and r = 4.2cm /2 = .021 m is my r correct?
Then,
[tex] B_1=\frac{μ_0}{4\pi} \frac{I*L}{r^2} = \frac{μ_0}{4\pi} \frac{I*.095m}{.021^2m^2} .[/tex]

Since there are two sides with 9.5 cm that create a B field in the -K direction the B field produced them is 2*B_1.

Let B_2 be when L = 4.5 cm = .045m and r = 9.5 cm / 2 = .0475m; Then,

[tex] B_2=\frac{μ_0}{4\pi} \frac{I*L}{r^2} = \frac{μ_0}{4\pi} \frac{I*.045m}{.0475^2m^2} .[/tex]

Since there are two sides with 4.5cm that create a B field in the -K direction the B field produced by them is 2*B_2.

The Total B field is then 2B_1 + 2B_2

[tex] 5.60×10^{-5}T=\frac{μ_0}{4\pi} I2[ \frac{.095 m}{.021^2m^2}+ \frac{.042m}{.0475^2m^2}] .[/tex]^ was wondering if that is correct.

(1.0) is Law of Biot and Savart.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
blastoise said:
Let B_1 be when L = 9.5 cm = .095m and r = 4.2cm /2 = .021 m is my r correct?
Then,
[tex] B_1=\frac{μ_0}{4\pi} \frac{I*L}{r^2} = \frac{μ_0}{4\pi} \frac{I*.095m}{.021^2m^2} .[/tex]
This is not the correct way to get the magnetic field due to one side of the rectangle. You need to integrate the Biot-Savart law. Using integration to find the B field of a finite, straight segment of current is a standard example in textbooks. So, this might already be worked out in your book or class notes. Or, check out this video.

The total field due to all 4 sides can then be found by adding the contributions from each of the 4 sides.

Related to Magnitude of Current through a Rectangular Loop, given the Magnetic field

1. What is the equation for calculating the magnitude of current through a rectangular loop?

The equation for calculating the magnitude of current through a rectangular loop is I = B * A * n * v, where I is the current, B is the magnetic field, A is the area of the loop, n is the number of turns in the loop, and v is the velocity of the loop.

2. How does the magnetic field affect the magnitude of current through a rectangular loop?

The magnetic field directly affects the magnitude of current through a rectangular loop. A stronger magnetic field will result in a larger current, while a weaker magnetic field will result in a smaller current.

3. Does the shape of the loop impact the magnitude of current?

Yes, the shape of the loop does impact the magnitude of current. In a rectangular loop, the longer sides of the loop will experience a greater magnetic force, resulting in a larger current compared to the shorter sides.

4. Can the magnitude of current through a rectangular loop be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of current through a rectangular loop can be negative. This would occur if the direction of the magnetic field or the velocity of the loop are reversed.

5. How does changing the number of turns in the loop affect the magnitude of current?

The more turns in the loop, the larger the magnitude of current will be. This is because each turn of the loop adds to the overall area and therefore increases the magnetic force experienced by the loop.