Magnitude of avg acc. of train moving in a circle?

In summary, the train's average acceleration is 190 cm/s2 as it goes from the tree marked A to the next tree B, located 1/4 of the way around the track from tree A.
gmichel395

Homework Statement

"Assume that a train is traveling at 65 cm/s, and the track has radius 20cm. What is the magnitude of the train's average acceleration as the train goes from the tree marked A to the next tree B, located exactly 1/4 of the way around the track from tree A? [Hint: This question is not asking for the train's centripetal acceleration.]"

Homework Equations

Equations of motion of object moving in circle, using ω,∝, θ.
aavg=(vf-vi)/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is given to be 190 cm/s2 but why wouldn't it be zero? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but if it doesn't want centripetal acceleration, it must mean tangential acceleration. And I thought that only the direction of tangential velocity changes, not magnitude. I also included a picture.
20160326_130018.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider that velocity is a vector. Make a sketch showing the two velocity vectors of interest.

If the answer would be zero, the average acceleration would be zero, so initial and final velocity would be the same.

The answer is not the centripetal acceleration directly (and you don't have to calculate it), but this acceleration does contribute to the answer.

Would vi=<0,65> and vf=<65,0>?

Attachments

• 20160326_194742[1].jpg
    20160326_194742[1].jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 328
gmichel395 said:
Would vi=<0,65> and vf=<65,0>?
Yes, those are two candidates for vi and vf (the particular vectors depend upon what you choose as the orientation of the track in your frame of reference). They will work for determining the average acceleration over the interval.

So if I subtract vi from vf, I get <65,-65>. To find time I used the formula acentripetal=v2/r=ω2r, and solved for ω by plugging in 65 cm/s as v and 20 cm as r and found ω to be 3.25rad/s. I converted this to rev/s and multiplied by 1/.25rev (since 1/4 the way around track) and got time to be 2.07s. Did I go wrong somewhere?

gmichel395 said:
So if I subtract vi from vf, I get <65,-65>. To find time I used the formula acentripetal=v2/r=ω2r, and solved for ω by plugging in 65 cm/s as v and 20 cm as r and found ω to be 3.25rad/s. I converted this to rev/s and multiplied by 1/.25rev (since 1/4 the way around track) and got time to be 2.07s. Did I go wrong somewhere?

Your time is incorrect. You really went the long way around to try to calculate it.

Your angular velocity ω looks good. What is the angular distance of a quarter circle? Distance over velocity yields time...

Likes gmichel395
Ah, θ=90°=1.57rad. t=Δθ/ω. t=.48s. Then √(652+652) divided by .48s gives the 190cm/s2. Thank you!

Note that you do not need ω. You can calculate the length of 1/4 of a circle with radius 20 cm, and divide that by the speed of the train. It gives the same result in a more direct way.

Related to Magnitude of avg acc. of train moving in a circle?

1. What is the magnitude of average acceleration of a train moving in a circle?

The magnitude of average acceleration of a train moving in a circle depends on the speed of the train, the radius of the circle, and the time it takes to complete one full circle. It can be calculated using the formula a = v^2 / r, where a is the magnitude of average acceleration, v is the speed of the train, and r is the radius of the circle.

2. How does the magnitude of average acceleration change in a train moving in a circle?

The magnitude of average acceleration in a train moving in a circle is constantly changing. As the train moves around the circle, its velocity and direction are constantly changing, resulting in a changing acceleration. This is known as centripetal acceleration and it always points towards the center of the circle.

3. How does the radius of the circle affect the magnitude of average acceleration in a train?

The magnitude of average acceleration in a train moving in a circle is inversely proportional to the radius of the circle. This means that as the radius of the circle decreases, the acceleration increases, and vice versa. This is because a smaller radius means the train has to travel a shorter distance to complete one full circle, resulting in a higher average acceleration.

4. Does the speed of the train affect the magnitude of average acceleration in a circle?

Yes, the speed of the train does affect the magnitude of average acceleration in a circle. As the speed of the train increases, the magnitude of average acceleration also increases. This is because a higher speed means the train is covering a greater distance in a shorter amount of time, resulting in a higher average acceleration.

5. Can the magnitude of average acceleration in a train moving in a circle ever be zero?

No, the magnitude of average acceleration in a train moving in a circle can never be zero. This is because there will always be some amount of acceleration acting on the train, even if it is moving at a constant speed. This acceleration is known as centripetal acceleration and it is necessary to keep the train moving in a circular path.