Magnitude of acceleration in circular motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of acceleration in circular motion, specifically when the speed is constant but the direction changes. The formula for centripetal acceleration is mentioned, along with the fact that acceleration is a vector and is directed towards the centre of the circle. The conversation also touches on the relationship between velocity and speed, and how acceleration is a change in velocity.
mm13690

Homework Statement

A ferris wheel with radius 14.0m is turning about a horizontal axis through its center. The linear speed of a passenger on the rim is constand and equal to 7.69m/s. What is the magnitude of the passenger's acceleration as she passes through the lowest point in her circular motion?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Because the speed is constant I thought that the magnitude of the acceleration would be zero and only the direction of the acceleration would have a value, but zero isn't the right answer so there's a concept to answering this question that I'm completely missing and I have no idea how to go about finding it. Does the fact that the person is at the lowest point make a difference? All of this is very new to me and I'm just very confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you tie a rock to a string and swing it in a circle - like the ferris wheel - doesn't it apply tension to the string? What causes the tension?

What are the relevant equations you have at your disposal?

I'm given atan=(dlvl)/dt

mm13690 said:
I'm given atan=(dlvl)/dt

I have no idea what you have written. That said, what about formulas for centripetal acceleration such as V^2/R or R*omega^2 where omega is angular speed in radians/second?

mm13690 said:
Because the speed is constant I thought that the magnitude of the acceleration would be zero
Acceleration is a change in velocity. (Linear acceleration is a change in linear velocity, angular acceleration is a change in angular velocity.)
Velocity is a vector. The speed is the magnitude of the velocity.
If the speed stays constant but the direction changes then the velocity changes, hence the acceleration is not zero. Acceleration is also a vector. When the acceleration is at right angles to the velocity the speed stays constant. If an object moves in a circle at constant speed its acceleration is towards the centre of the circle.

Related to Magnitude of acceleration in circular motion

1. What is the magnitude of acceleration in circular motion?

The magnitude of acceleration in circular motion is equal to the square of the object's speed divided by the radius of the circular path. This can be expressed as a = v^2/r, where a is the magnitude of acceleration, v is the object's speed, and r is the radius of the circular path.

2. How is the magnitude of acceleration affected by the speed of the object?

The magnitude of acceleration is directly proportional to the square of the object's speed. This means that as the speed of the object increases, the magnitude of acceleration also increases.

3. Does the magnitude of acceleration change if the circular path has a larger radius?

Yes, the magnitude of acceleration decreases as the radius of the circular path increases. This is because a larger radius means the object has to cover a greater distance in the same amount of time, resulting in a lower acceleration.

4. Is the magnitude of acceleration constant in circular motion?

No, the magnitude of acceleration is not constant in circular motion. This is because the direction of the object's velocity is constantly changing as it moves along the circular path, resulting in a continuously changing acceleration.

5. How is the magnitude of acceleration related to the centripetal force?

The magnitude of acceleration is directly proportional to the centripetal force acting on the object. This means that a greater centripetal force will result in a greater magnitude of acceleration, while a smaller centripetal force will result in a smaller magnitude of acceleration.