Magnitude of Acceleration and Work

In summary: In this case, the magnitude of the acceleration is just 6.063 m/s^2.In summary, we are given a 5kg box sliding up an inclined plane with an initial speed of 5.00 m/s. The plane has a 30 degree angle with the horizontal and a coefficient of friction of .137. We need to find the magnitude of the acceleration of the box and the total work done by gravity on the box. To solve this, we set up a free-body diagram and use the equations Fy = 0 and Fx = ma + coefficient + mg sin(theta). After calculating the net force in the x direction, we find the acceleration to be -6.063 m/s^2 and the work
scotthyppo
Can someone help me
A 5kg box slides up an inclined plane surface, with an initial speed of 5.00 m/s. The plane makes a 30 degrees angle with horizontal. The coefficient of friction is .137. Assume g = 9.80 m/s^2.

A) what is the magnitude of the acceleration of the box?

B) What is the total work done by gravity on the box, from the start position, when the box has come to a stop?

Physics news on Phys.org
what have you tried so far?

Ive tried finding the distance but could not

well so the first thing you'd want to do with a problem like this is set up a free-body diagram for the box

in that diagram you should break up the force due to gravity into its components and then also figure out the force due to friction

once you have the components of the force in the x-direction you can determine the net force in that direction and get the acceleration

Fy = 0
mg cos (30)

Fx =
ma + coefficient + mg sin (30)

What do you do after this?

For my X component I got a 55.3136

well so in the x direction you should have two forces: the force due to friction and the weight of the object that is parallel to the surface

the force due to friction is related to the normal force, and the normal force is equal to the weight of the object that is perpendicular to the surface

I am still confused can you show me what you mean?

do you have any examples from your notes where your teacher did an object on an incline?

No he only declining with more information

he did an object on a downward slope, you mean?

Yep
This is what I did for my calculation:
Fy = N - mg cos (30) = 0
N = mg cos (30)
N = 42.4352
Fx I did:
(42.4352x .137) x (5x9.8) x sin(30)
and got 142.434
x direction you should have two forces: the force due to friction and the weight of the object that is parallel to the surface
How do you calculate that

well so where you calculate Fx it seems like you've got mgsin(theta) which is the weight of the object that is parallel to the surface

the frictional force is also there where you multiply the normal force by the coefficient of friction

but it seems like you multiplied the frictional force by the parallel weight; what you want to do is *add* them together. But of course remember that they are both negative, because they are pointing in the opposite direction of the velocity of the box.

So
-mg sin(30) - mew = max
-mg sin (30) - .137 mg cos (30) = max
So the m cancels on both side
-g sin (30) - .137 g cos (30) = ax
acceleration = -6.063

For the total work done by gravity on the box
W = F (cos (30))
V^2 = Vo^2 + 2ax
0 = 5^2 + 2 (-6.063)x
= 25 + (-12.126) x
X= 2.06
W = mg (cos 30) 2.06
W= 5 (9.8) (cos 30) 2.06
W = 87.48813 J

Is this right?

yes it looks good

but just remember that in part a it asks for the *magnitude* of the acceleration

What do you mean by that?
So the magnitude of the acceleration should just be 6.063

remember that a vector has both a magnitude and a direction. In this case, there are only two directions: positive x direction (up the slope) and negative x direction (down the slope).

Since the acceleration is a vector, it has both a magnitude and a direction. In this case, the direction of the acceleration is always *down the slope*. So its direction is negative, but the magnitude of a vector is always just some number.

Related to Magnitude of Acceleration and Work

1. What is magnitude of acceleration?

The magnitude of acceleration is a measure of how much an object's velocity changes over time. It is typically represented by the letter "a" and is measured in meters per second squared (m/s2).

2. How is magnitude of acceleration calculated?

The magnitude of acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it took for that change to occur. It can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of acceleration?

The magnitude of acceleration can be affected by various factors such as the force applied to the object, the mass of the object, and the friction or resistance present. These factors can either increase or decrease the acceleration of an object.

4. How is work related to magnitude of acceleration?

Work is the product of a force and the distance over which the force is applied. When a force is applied to an object, it can cause a change in its velocity, resulting in a change in its acceleration. Therefore, work and magnitude of acceleration are indirectly related.

5. How does increasing the magnitude of acceleration affect the amount of work done?

Increasing the magnitude of acceleration will generally require more work to be done on the object. This is because a greater change in velocity means a larger force is needed to achieve that change, thus increasing the amount of work required. However, this may also depend on the mass and other factors affecting the object's acceleration.