Magnitude and direction of the electrostatic

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving finding the magnitude and direction of the electrostatic at q4 and the gravitational force at various points given equal masses and a distance of 100cm in the trapezoid. The individual is unsure how to find the distances involved and is questioning if the problem has been posted in its entirety.
jasonlewiz
Hello, I'm new in this forum. I hope you can help me in my homework. thank you

Homework Statement

The given is write in my attachment picture.

Homework Equations

Find the magnitude and direction of the electrostatic at q4

If they are given equal mass of 1 kg, find the gravitational force at q1+q2, q1+q3, q2+q3.

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot attempt to try a solution because I don't know how to find the distance starting from q4.

Attachments

• ass.JPG
    ass.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 389
Physics news on Phys.org

jasonlewiz said:
I cannot attempt to try a solution because I don't know how to find the distance starting from q4.
You need to be given the distances involved, or at least enough information so you can figure them out. (Unless they expect you to treat it as a scale diagram and measure the distances.) Are you sure you've posted the entire problem exactly as given, word for word?

Doc Al said:
You need to be given the distances involved, or at least enough information so you can figure them out. (Unless they expect you to treat it as a scale diagram and measure the distances.) Are you sure you've posted the entire problem exactly as given, word for word?

Yes Sir I post all the given in my attachment picture. I'm confused because the only given distance is 100cm in the trapezoid.

Related to Magnitude and direction of the electrostatic

1. What is the magnitude of an electrostatic force?

The magnitude of an electrostatic force is determined by the strength of the electric charges involved and the distance between them. The greater the charge and the closer the distance, the stronger the electrostatic force will be.

2. How is the direction of an electrostatic force determined?

The direction of an electrostatic force is determined by the relative charges of the objects involved. Opposite charges attract each other, while like charges repel each other. The direction of the force is always along the line connecting the two charges.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electrostatic force?

The unit of measurement for electrostatic force is the Newton (N), which is the same unit used for measuring other types of forces like gravity or friction. It is a derived unit that is equal to 1 kilogram meter per second squared (kg*m/s^2).

4. Can the magnitude and direction of an electrostatic force be changed?

Yes, the magnitude and direction of an electrostatic force can be changed by altering the charge or the distance between the objects involved. For example, increasing the charge or decreasing the distance will result in a stronger force, while decreasing the charge or increasing the distance will result in a weaker force.

5. How does the magnitude and direction of an electrostatic force affect the behavior of objects?

The magnitude and direction of an electrostatic force can cause objects to attract or repel each other, leading to changes in their motion. This can be seen in everyday phenomena such as the attraction between a balloon and a person's hair, or the repulsion between two magnets. In more extreme cases, the electrostatic force can cause objects to stick together or even break apart.