Magnitude and direction of electric field with nonconducting sheets

In summary: This is because the electric field is found by considering the entire charge on the sheet, not just the charge at a specific distance from the point. Therefore, the distance from the edges does not affect the magnitude and direction of the electric field at points A, B, and C. Using the formula for electric field due to an infinite plane of charge, we find that the electric field at points A, B, and C is directed towards the sheets and has a magnitude of 3.00 N/C at point A, 4.00 N/C at point B, and 3.00 N/C at point C. In summary, by using Gauss's law and the formula for electric field due to an infinite plane of charge, we can find
cwbullivant

Homework Statement

Two very large, non-conducting sheets, each 10cm thick, carry uniform charge densities δ1 = -6.00μC/m^2, δ2 = +5.00μC/m^2, δ3 = +2.00μC/m^2, δ4 = 4.00μC/m^2. Use Gauss's law to find the magnitude and direction of the electric field at points A, B, and C, far from the edges of these sheets.

a) Point A, 5.00cm from the left face of the left-hand sheet

b) Point B, 1.25cm from the inner surface of the right-hand sheet

c) Point C, in the middle of the right hand sheet

Homework Equations

Presumably

$$ E = \frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the indication from the problem statement "far from the edges of those sheets" to imply that the answer would be achieved using the formula for electric field due to an infinite plane of charge, for points close to the sheet (i.e. the distance from the sheet is small relative to the length of the sheet), which was derived from Gauss' law in an earlier lecture.

The only thing I'm wondering with this is that the formula, given above, seems to imply that the electric field at those points is completely independent of the distance of the point from the charges edges; this seems reasonable, given the assumption that the ratio of the distance of the point from the edge is very small compared to the length of the sheet itself (only the width of 10cm is given).

The problem I have accepting this idea is the fact that the width of the sheets, as well as the distance of the points from the sheets is given; combined with the $$ \frac{1}{r^2} $$ nature of the electric field equation, it seems problematic to have a solution which is independent of distance.

Physics news on Phys.org
As the size of the sheets is not given and it is described as "very large", I think you can approximate them as infinite sheets. The size of the sheets could be given to make clear where (in which region) the points are, but I guess the sketch does the same job.

The solution is independent of the distance values.

Related to Magnitude and direction of electric field with nonconducting sheets

1. What is the difference between magnitude and direction of electric field?

Magnitude refers to the strength or intensity of the electric field, while direction indicates the path or orientation of the field lines.

2. How are nonconducting sheets related to the electric field?

Nonconducting sheets, also known as dielectric sheets, can affect the electric field by altering the distribution of charges and changing the direction and magnitude of the field.

3. How do you calculate the magnitude of electric field with nonconducting sheets?

The magnitude of the electric field with nonconducting sheets can be calculated using the formula E = σ/ε, where σ is the surface charge density and ε is the permittivity of the material.

4. What factors affect the direction of electric field with nonconducting sheets?

The direction of the electric field with nonconducting sheets is influenced by the orientation and shape of the sheet, as well as the distribution of charges on the sheet and its surroundings.

5. How does the electric field change in the presence of multiple nonconducting sheets?

The electric field with multiple nonconducting sheets can be calculated by superposing the individual fields from each sheet. The direction and magnitude of the electric field may also be altered due to the interaction between the sheets.