Magnification due to a Diverging Lens

In summary, the focal length of a diverging lens is 74 cm and an object with a height of 0.6 cm located at a distance of 37 cm will result in an upright, reduced, and virtual image with a height of 0.4 cm. This can be found by using the thin-lens equation and the magnification equation, taking into account the negative sign of the focal length for a diverging lens.
davidepalmer

Homework Statement

The focal length of the diverging lens is 74 cm. If an object with height h = 0.6 cm is located at d = 37 cm, what is the height of the image?

Homework Equations

Thin-Lens Equation:

(1/do)+(1/di)=1/f

Magnification Equation:

m=-di/do

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that first I need to find the distance of the image, di. To do this I took: 1/[(1/74cm)-(1/37cm)]. From this I got -74cm.

Next, I plugged this value into the Magnification equation: -(-74cm)/(37cm). From this I received a value of 2. Therefore the image should be 1.2 cm tall. When I entered this answer it was incorrect. I also know this is incorrect because images from a convex lens must be upright, reduced in size, and virtual.

Can anyone help me out on where I am going wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
davidepalmer said:
I know that first I need to find the distance of the image, di. To do this I took: 1/[(1/74cm)-(1/37cm)].
This isn't right. What's the sign of f for a diverging lens?

Is it negative since it is to the left of the lens?

davidepalmer said:
Is it negative since it is to the left of the lens?
Yes.

Alright, so I redid the problem with a negative focal length and got a height of .4cm.

davidepalmer said:
Alright, so I redid the problem with a negative focal length and got a height of .4cm.
What did you get for do? (Show how you got it.)

So, I redid my equation: 1/[(1/-74cm)-(1/37cm)]. This gave me: -24.667. Then I redid my magnification equation: -(-24.667)/(37). This gave me .667 for my magnification. Then when multiplied by the height i got .4 cm.

davidepalmer said:
So, I redid my equation: 1/[(1/-74cm)-(1/37cm)]. This gave me: -24.667. Then I redid my magnification equation: -(-24.667)/(37). This gave me .667 for my magnification. Then when multiplied by the height i got .4 cm.
Actually, that's correct. (For some reason, I thought you meant it was wrong.)

yay! thank you very much!

Related to Magnification due to a Diverging Lens

What is magnification due to a diverging lens?

Magnification due to a diverging lens refers to the increase in size of an object when viewed through a lens that causes the light rays to diverge.

How is magnification calculated for a diverging lens?

The magnification of a diverging lens can be calculated by dividing the image distance by the object distance, or by dividing the height of the image by the height of the object.

What is the relationship between object distance and image distance in a diverging lens?

In a diverging lens, the object distance and image distance are always negative, indicating that the image is virtual and located on the same side as the object.

Can a diverging lens produce a magnified image?

Yes, a diverging lens can produce a magnified image if the object is placed within the focal length of the lens.

How does the shape of the lens affect the magnification in a diverging lens?

The shape of the lens does not affect the magnification in a diverging lens, as long as the lens is thin and symmetrical.