Magnets making things hurtle towards me eep

• Thread starter lythia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnets
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of acceleration and final velocity of a solid iron sphere positioned 2m from a magnet with a known strength of 3 Tesla. The individual is unsure of how to incorporate gravity and starting height into the calculation and is also unsure of the exact meaning of 1 Tesla. They mention using the equation B=F/qv and constructing a diagram with the iron sphere in line with the flux. They also question the significance of the direction of the magnetic field and its relevance to their calculation. They apologize for not being able to contribute more to the conversation.
lythia
If I have a magnet of known strength (say 3 Tesla) and I have a solid iron sphere of 1 kg and it is positioned 2m from the magnet, how do I go about calculating its acceleration and so its final velocity upon reaching the magnet?

Do I need to worry about gravity and starting height? I'm obviously going to ignore air resistance..

I'm really sorry if I've missed something obvious, but I've been thinking about this for ages. I think the reason I might be struggling is that I'm unsure of exactly what "1 Tesla" actually means.. I've looked up the definition but I'm still feeling shaky on it. :shy:

Thanks if you can help. I'm sorry I can't give anything back to these fora yet, hopefully one day I'll get more confident with my Physics and be able to help some others out!

Physics news on Phys.org
1 Tesla = 1N/Am because B=F/qv (force over charge and velocity)

1. you need to know the direction of the magnetic field

wat have you done so far? care to show?

Ah, I'm not sure I knew that second equation.. What does the charge relate to in it?

I've tried to construct a diagram, and in that I've shown the iron sphere in line with the flux running straight through it.

I was trying to do it in the context of a magnet in MRI scanners. Can I chose any direction of field? I thought that saying the lines of flux passed straight through would be simplest.. Does it make a big difference which direction they're in?

Thanks

Related to Magnets making things hurtle towards me eep

What is the concept behind magnets making things hurtle towards me eep?

The concept behind magnets making things hurtle towards you is the force of attraction between opposite poles of a magnet. This force, called magnetism, can pull objects towards the magnet.

How do magnets create a force of attraction towards me?

Magnets have two poles, a north pole and a south pole. These poles have opposite charges, and when they come into contact with an object, the opposite poles of the magnet and the object come into alignment, creating a force of attraction.

What types of objects are affected by magnets?

Magnets can affect objects made of iron, nickel, cobalt, and some other specific materials. These objects are called ferromagnetic materials and are attracted to magnets due to their unique atomic structure.

Can the strength of a magnet affect the force of attraction towards me?

Yes, the strength of a magnet can affect the force of attraction towards you. The stronger the magnet, the greater the force of attraction it will have on objects within its magnetic field.

Is the force of attraction from a magnet permanent or temporary?

The force of attraction from a magnet is temporary and can be easily manipulated by changing the position or orientation of the magnet. Once the magnet is removed, the object will no longer be attracted to it.