Magnets -- Experiments with sheets and particles

In summary: Hello berkemanIt would help if you could sketch the configuration of the two boards, to clarify how they will be set up and work.And it would be a little better not to use the word "Charges" in the context of magnets. Instead, use the word "Poles" A magnet has a positive pole and a negative pole. That's why we call them a magnetic dipole. :smile:Do it kind of sounds like you would like to design these boards so that some characters will stick to one board and not the other?Yes, that is the main goal.
DjMadness
Hello

I have magnetic sheets A4 sized that could be bent but not enrolled, having a thin thickness.

I want to cut them in a circular shapes.

The idea, is there any possibility to make one of them (or other material same physics) positively charged and second negatively charged; then have small magnetic particles group of them is positively charged while others are negatively charged such that the + circular paper attracts only - poles and vice-versa?

In other words, can we make dipoles, first considered as N other considered as S from the magnetic papers, while we have small magnets equally composed of same material but different charges?

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
DjMadness said:
Hello

I have magnetic sheets A4 sized that could be bent but not enrolled, having a thin thickness.

I want to cut them in a circular shapes.

The idea, is there any possibility to make one of them (or other material same physics) positively charged and second negatively charged; then have small magnetic particles group of them is positively charged while others are negatively charged such that the + circular paper attracts only - poles and vice-versa?

In other words, can we make dipoles, first considered as N other considered as S from the magnetic papers, while we have small magnets equally composed of same material but different charges?

Thanks in advance
I need to clarify what you mean by "positively charged" and "negatively charged" magnetic plates. Do you mean you are hooking them up like a parallel plate capacitor and applying a voltage difference to them? Or are you using the word "charged" to try to describe the magnetic north and south poles? I'm having trouble parsing and understanding what you are asking about.

Also, could you maybe Upload a sketch of the geometry you are asking about? Thanks.

Hello berkeman

I'm sorry for not being clear. I think your second explanation aims at my point: to describe magnet North and South.

It's a school educators project: you should design two differently charged magnetic boards, then attach a small magnet under alphabetical letters.

The teacher for example if wanting to examine kid learning about vowels, he asks him to set letters under different categories of vowels and other types of letters.

Once done, the teacher tells the student if he made any mistakes by showing him that the wrong letters didn't get attached to the board he referred to.

I want to charge the letters to only get attached to magnetic board "1" and other letters to be only able to attach to magnetic board "2" for example.

How is this idea be implemented?

As it is familiar, two identical charges repulses, two different charges attracts. In our case the vowels should have + charge and their corresponding board should be - charged.

Awaiting your comments

DjMadness said:
Hello berkeman

I'm sorry for not being clear. I think your second explanation aims at my point: to describe magnet North and South.

It's a school educators project: you should design two differently charged magnetic boards, then attach a small magnet under alphabetical letters.

The teacher for example if wanting to examine kid learning about vowels, he asks him to set letters under different categories of vowels and other types of letters.

Once done, the teacher tells the student if he made any mistakes by showing him that the wrong letters didn't get attached to the board he referred to.

I want to charge the letters to only get attached to magnetic board "1" and other letters to be only able to attach to magnetic board "2" for example.

How is this idea be implemented?

As it is familiar, two identical charges repulses, two different charges attracts. In our case the vowels should have + charge and their corresponding board should be - charged.

Awaiting your comments
It would help if you could sketch the configuration of the two boards, to clarify how they will be set up and work.

And it would be a little better not to use the word "Charges" in the context of magnets. Instead, use the word "Poles" A magnet has a positive pole and a negative pole. That's why we call them a magnetic dipole. :smile:

Do it kind of sounds like you would like to design these boards so that some characters will stick to one board and not the other? Is that the main design goal?

Likes DjMadness

Related to Magnets -- Experiments with sheets and particles

1. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field around them. This magnetic field is made up of tiny particles called electrons, which are constantly moving. The movement of these electrons creates a force that attracts or repels other magnets or magnetic materials.

2. What are the different types of magnets?

There are three main types of magnets: permanent magnets, temporary magnets, and electromagnets. Permanent magnets, such as refrigerator magnets, have a constant magnetic field. Temporary magnets, like paper clips, only have a temporary magnetic field when in the presence of a strong magnet. Electromagnets are created by running electricity through a wire coiled around a core and can be turned on and off.

3. How can I test the strength of a magnet?

One way to test the strength of a magnet is by using another magnet. Like poles of two magnets will repel each other, while opposite poles will attract. The ease with which the magnets attract or repel each other can give an indication of the strength of the magnetic field. Another way to test the strength is by using iron filings and observing the pattern they form around the magnet.

4. Can magnets lose their magnetism?

Yes, magnets can lose their magnetism over time. This is known as demagnetization. It can happen due to exposure to high temperatures, strong magnetic fields, or physical damage to the magnet. Some materials, like iron, can also cause magnets to lose their magnetism if they are in close proximity for an extended period of time.

5. What are some fun experiments I can do with magnets?

There are many fun experiments you can do with magnets, such as creating a magnetic compass, making a hovercraft, or building a magnetic levitation train. You can also use magnets to create art, make a magnetic slime, or even construct a simple motor. The possibilities are endless, and you can find many ideas and instructions online for different magnet experiments.