Magnetization Dynamics: Modeling the Ferrite Core of a Joule Thief

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of modeling the magnetization process of a ferrite core in a Joule thief project. The speaker is looking for resources or explanations on the necessary math to understand the behavior of ferrous materials during the magnetization process, as most introductory physics texts only cover B vs. H in ferromagnetic media. They also mention the importance of accurately predicting induced emf based on the characteristics of the system.
OGrowli
I'm working on a project that involves a Joule thief. I need to model the magnetization process of the ferrite core of the toroid. With that I will be able to get an accurate picture of the flux change, which I can use to predict the induced emf based on the characteristics of the system. Everything I learned as an undergrad either involved linear media, or just the behavior of a material after magnetization has happened. I need to learn about the magnetization process in ferrous materials. Can anyone either explain the necessary math or point me in the direction of reading materials that will give me a mathematical overview of these processes? thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most introductory physics texts cover B vs. H in ferromagnetic media.

For details, see attached.

Attachments

• B-H curve and iron loss for magnetic materials.pdf
    66.9 KB · Views: 645
Likes 1 person

Related to Magnetization Dynamics: Modeling the Ferrite Core of a Joule Thief

1. What is magnetization dynamics?

Magnetization dynamics is the study of the changes in the magnetic properties of a material over time. This includes the processes of magnetization, demagnetization, and magnetic relaxation.

2. What is a ferrite core and how is it used in a Joule Thief?

A ferrite core is a type of magnetic material that is commonly used in electronic circuits. In a Joule Thief, the ferrite core is used to store and release energy as the magnetic field within the core changes, allowing for efficient power conversion.

3. How is the ferrite core of a Joule Thief modeled?

The ferrite core of a Joule Thief can be modeled using mathematical equations that describe the changes in magnetic flux and energy within the core. These equations take into account factors such as the material properties of the core and the circuit design.

4. What factors affect the magnetization dynamics of the ferrite core in a Joule Thief?

The magnetization dynamics of the ferrite core in a Joule Thief can be affected by factors such as the frequency and amplitude of the input voltage, the material properties of the core, and the design of the circuit. Temperature and external magnetic fields can also play a role.

5. Why is understanding magnetization dynamics important in the design of a Joule Thief?

Understanding magnetization dynamics is crucial in the design of a Joule Thief as it allows for efficient energy conversion and proper functioning of the circuit. By modeling the ferrite core and its dynamics, engineers can optimize the design to achieve the desired performance and efficiency.