Magnetism due to electron spin

In summary, the electron has intrinsic angular momentum and it will not increase in spin if accelerated.
boletoms
hi
i have a doubt about magnetism
i am assuming that magnetism is caused by spinning electric flux
if we change the velocity(voltage) of the electron does the spin increase?
how can we calculate spin of the electron
which forces are responsible for electron spin

Physics news on Phys.org
Voltage is a difference of electric potential between two points. You cannot change the voltage of a single particle because it cannot have a voltage to begin with. Nor can you change the spin of a particle. Spin is an intrinsic property of a particle, much like mass and charge are, and it cannot be changed at all. There is no force responsible for this spin. It simply exists as a fundamental property of particles.

sorry its not voltage
its W.D by the electron
my doubt is that will the spin increase if the electron is accelerated

No the spin of the electron will not change if accelerated. As I explained before it is an intrinsic property that cannot be changed.

what is the actual rate of spin?

boletoms said:
what is the actual rate of spin?

The electron is not actually spinning around an axis. It is intrinsic angular momentum. You can think of it as being "built in" angular momentum. At the quantum scale things do not appear to work as they do at the classical scale. A basketball spinning on someones finger has angular momentum from the rotation, and it is actually spinning around an axis of rotation. Particle spin is NOT like that. I like to think of it as the most basic form of angular momentum, something that can only be replicated in a poor way at the normal everyday scale of things.

Per wiki:

In quantum mechanics and particle physics, spin is an intrinsic form of angular momentum carried by elementary particles, composite particles (hadrons), and atomic nuclei.[1][2] Spin is a solely quantum-mechanical phenomenon; it does not have a counterpart in classical mechanics (despite the term spin being reminiscent of classical phenomena such as a planet spinning on its axis).[2]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(physics)

I find this similar to charge. I can take an electrode and charge it to almost any amount of positive or negative charge. From this one might think that charge can be increased either way to any amount. However when we look at the basic building blocks of matter we see that charge is also a built in property of particles, and that they reason I am charging my electrode is because I am moving charged particles off of or on to the electrode. Of course that's just my way of looking at.

thanks drakkit

Related to Magnetism due to electron spin

1. What is electron spin?

Electron spin is a fundamental property of electrons, which is a type of subatomic particle. It describes the intrinsic angular momentum of an electron, similar to how a planet spins on its axis.

2. How does electron spin contribute to magnetism?

Electron spin plays a crucial role in the magnetic properties of materials. In most materials, electrons have paired spins, canceling out their magnetic moments. However, in certain materials, such as ferromagnets, the electrons have unpaired spins, creating a net magnetic moment.

3. What is the difference between paramagnetism and ferromagnetism?

Paramagnetism is a type of magnetism where the material is only weakly attracted to a magnetic field due to the presence of unpaired electron spins. Ferromagnetism, on the other hand, is a type of magnetism where the material has a strong attraction to a magnetic field due to the alignment of its electron spins.

4. How do scientists study magnetism due to electron spin?

Scientists use a variety of techniques, such as electron spin resonance spectroscopy and magnetic force microscopy, to study the behavior of electron spins in materials. These techniques allow them to measure and manipulate the magnetic properties of materials at the atomic level.

5. How is magnetism due to electron spin used in technology?

Magnetism due to electron spin is used in a wide range of technologies, including magnetic storage devices, such as hard drives, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It is also being explored for use in spintronics, a field that aims to develop new electronic devices based on the manipulation of electron spin instead of just charge.