Magnetic susceptibility

In summary: So the net B field is higher for a given H field.This is defined by M=XmH.In summary, the equation M=XmH is used to define the relationship between magnetization (M) and the applied magnetic field (H). It can be rearranged to eliminate M and give M=1/u0(Xm/1+Xm)B, where B is the total magnetic field. According to the book, for paramagnetic media, Xm is positive and for diamagnetic media, Xm is negative. This means that for paramagnetism, M and B should have the same direction, while for diamagnetism, they should have opposite directions. However, when considering the constant of proportionality, Xm values
fayled
This is defined by M=XmH.

Using H=(B/u0)-M to eliminate M gives us M=1/u0(Xm/1+Xm)B, where B is the total magnetic field.

Now my problem is, my book states that for paramagnetic media, Xm is positive, and for diamagnetic media Xm is negative. Now for paramagnetism, we expect M and B to have the same directions, i.e the constant of proportionality above should be positive - Xm>0 achieves this so it is fine. For diamagnetism however, where M and B have opposite directions, we expect the constant to be negative. If we write the constant as 1/1+1/(Xm) (ignoring the positive u0), we see that Xm<0 achieves this, but only for Xm between 0 and -1. So what the book is saying doesn't seem to be true all the time. The only thing I can see that could save this is that apparently Xm values are typically of the order of around 10-5 so this would be correct - but I don't like how the book doesn't mention something that could theoretically happen so would be grateful if somebody could tell me if I'm right or not, thankyou :)

Physics news on Phys.org
B = μ0H + μ0M = μ0H(1 + Xm).
B cannot be negative!

We're dealing with vectors though - I'm not sure what that has to do with anything?

rude man said:
B = μ0H + μ0M = μ0H(1 + Xm).
B cannot be negative!

We're dealing with vectors though - I'm not sure what that has to do with anything?

Edit: are you possiby claiming this is why Xm is limited between 0 and -1 in terms of the negative values it can take?

Last edited:
fayled said:

Edit: are you possiby claiming this is why Xm is limited between 0 and -1 in terms of the negative values it can take?
Not only possibly - definitely!
What do vectors have to do with it? B nd H are always collinear.

rude man said:
Not only possibly - definitely!
What do vectors have to do with it? B nd H are always collinear.

Why must B and H be collinear though, I'm struggling to see this - it would solve a few other issues I'm having with this topic too. And It's most likely very obvious...

B = μH.
B and H are vectors. μ is a scalar.

H is a function of current. The current sets up the H field per Ampere's law or more generally by del x H = j (in the absence of time-varying electric fields). j is current density. (In permanent magnets the currents are "amperian" currents not subject to resistive dissipation).

B is the magnetic field as defined by F = qv x B. B is "generated" by H. In a vacuum, the relation is B = μ0H. If there is magnetic material present, individual domains will align with the H field (what else could they do? They either align with the H field or stay put, or anti-align in the case of predominantly diamagnetic materials. The domains that stay put average to zero net susceptibility. If most of them line up the susceptibility is high (can be > 1000 in certain paramagnetic substances, like iron).).

Related to Magnetic susceptibility

What is magnetic susceptibility?

Magnetic susceptibility is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized in the presence of an external magnetic field.

How is magnetic susceptibility measured?

Magnetic susceptibility is typically measured using a magnetic susceptibility meter, which applies a magnetic field to a sample and measures the resulting magnetization. It can also be calculated using the formula χ = M/H, where χ is magnetic susceptibility, M is magnetization, and H is the applied magnetic field strength.

What factors affect magnetic susceptibility?

The magnetic susceptibility of a material is affected by its composition, structure, and temperature. Materials with unpaired electrons, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, tend to have higher magnetic susceptibility than materials with all paired electrons, such as copper or gold.

How is magnetic susceptibility used in geology?

In geology, magnetic susceptibility is used to study the magnetic properties of rocks and minerals. It can provide information about the composition and structure of Earth's crust, as well as help identify different types of rocks and geological formations.

Can magnetic susceptibility be used for medical imaging?

Yes, magnetic susceptibility can be used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). By measuring the magnetic susceptibility of different tissues, MRI can create detailed images of the internal structures of the body.