Magnetic Susceptibility and Unpaired electrons

In summary, the individual is attempting to find the magnetic susceptibility, XM, in order to calculate the number of unpaired electrons in Mn(acac)3 using the Evans Method. The calculated XM value is 4179.1878, with XM (metal) being 511 and XM (ligands) being 156. Solving for X'M, the value is 3512.1878, which translates to a count of nearly 3,000 unpaired electrons. However, this result may not be accurate due to the possibility of using the incorrect value for XM (metal). The individual will continue to investigate and seek assistance.
ReidMerrill

Homework Statement

I'm am trying to find out the magnetic susceptibility,XM in order to calculate the number of unpaired electrons in Mn(acac)3 via the Evans Method

Homework Equations

XM = (477) Δv/(Qv1C)
XM= X'm+ XM(metal)+ XM (ligands)
Where X'M is the magnetic susceptibilty of just the unpaired electrons.
Δv is the frequency difference between the two chloroform peaks, 648.2 MHz (7.2722 ppm-5.6517 ppm)*400 MHz
Q=2 because a superconducting NMR was used
v1 is the frequency of the NMR, 400MHz
and c is the molarity of the solution used, 0.0948M
X'MT=(1/8)n(n+2) where n is number of unpaired electrons

The Attempt at a Solution

The XM I calculated is 4179.1878. I have nothing to base the accuracy of this off of.
the XM (metal) = 511. THis was for elemental Mn. I couldn't find anything for Mn(III) so this might be the problem. And from the lab manual the XM(ligands) is 3*52
Solving for X'M I got 3512.1878
This gives an unpaired electron count of of nearly 3,000 so this cannot be correct. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Δν > ν1? Looks like you multiplied 1.6205*400. What about the "ppm"?

mjc123 said:
Δν > ν1? Looks like you multiplied 1.6205*400. What about the "ppm"?
1.6205 is the ppm. That's what the lab manual says to do.

EDIT: I see. the ppm x 400 MHz= Hz. I wasn't reading carefully. I'll see if this fixes things

Related to Magnetic Susceptibility and Unpaired electrons

1. What is magnetic susceptibility?

Magnetic susceptibility is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized in the presence of an external magnetic field. It is a dimensionless quantity that indicates the degree of magnetization of a material compared to the strength of the applied magnetic field.

2. How is magnetic susceptibility related to unpaired electrons?

In materials, magnetic susceptibility is primarily caused by the presence of unpaired electrons. Unpaired electrons have a magnetic moment and can align themselves in the direction of an external magnetic field, resulting in a net magnetization of the material.

3. What factors affect the magnetic susceptibility of a material?

The magnetic susceptibility of a material is influenced by factors such as the number of unpaired electrons, the strength of the applied magnetic field, and the temperature. Materials with a higher number of unpaired electrons and a stronger applied magnetic field will typically have a higher magnetic susceptibility.

4. How is magnetic susceptibility measured?

Magnetic susceptibility can be measured using a device called a magnetic susceptibility balance. This instrument applies a known magnetic field to a sample and measures the resulting magnetization, allowing for the calculation of the material's magnetic susceptibility.

5. What is the significance of magnetic susceptibility in scientific research?

Magnetic susceptibility is an important property in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and geology. It is used to characterize and identify different materials, study their magnetic properties, and understand their behavior in the presence of magnetic fields.