Magnetic Rotation: Will South Pole Move to North?

In summary, the question is about a magnetic setup in a frictionless area with a north and south pole, and whether the south pole will rotate up to the north pole, causing the entire system to rotate. The individual bars are connected and have the same mass, and the goal is to rotate the cross shape about the center. However, it is not possible for an internal force to cause a net torque, and perpetual motion machines are not a topic for discussion.
pbhuter
If I have a magnetic setup in frictionless, etc. area as follows:

N
/
/
/
---------------------S

Will the "south" pole rotate up to the "north" pole, causing the system as a whole to rotate?

Physics news on Phys.org
pbhuter said:
If I have a magnetic setup in frictionless, etc. area as follows:

N
/
/
/
---------------------S

Will the "south" pole rotate up to the "north" pole, causing the system as a whole to rotate?
Why not the other way around?

A.T. said:
Why not the other way around?
It is my understanding (and it has been awhile since magnetics in college) that it would rotate toward "north" - like a compass. But for sure I would like to be able to control the direction of rotation...

pbhuter said:
like a compass
Are the vertical and horizontal bars free to rotate relative to each other, like the compass needle can rotate relative the Earth? If, yes do they have the same mass ratio as the a compass needle and the Earth?

It is all connected. Ultimately, it is a full cross shape that I am trying to rotate about the center.

This is operating in a frictionless environment. Each bar is the same mass, and like I said there are four making a complete cross. I am trying to see if the whole thing will start rotating about the center as the "south pole" is attracted to the "north pole".

pbhuter said:
This is operating in a frictionless environment. Each bar is the same mass, and like I said there are four making a complete cross. I am trying to see if the whole thing will start rotating about the center as the "south pole" is attracted to the "north pole".

So you've effectively taken two bar magnets and put on on top of the other, offsetting one by 90 degrees?

pbhuter said:
causing the system as a whole to rotate?
No. An internal force cannot cause a net torque.

We don't discuss perpetual motion machines here. Thread closed.

Related to Magnetic Rotation: Will South Pole Move to North?

1. What is Magnetic Rotation?

Magnetic rotation refers to the phenomenon where the Earth's magnetic field changes over time, causing the magnetic poles to shift and move.

2. Will the South Pole eventually become the North Pole?

No, the Earth's magnetic field is constantly changing, but it does not completely reverse. The magnetic poles may shift, but they will always remain opposite from each other.

3. How often does the Earth's magnetic field change?

The Earth's magnetic field has changed many times in its history, with an average of every 200,000 to 300,000 years. However, the last reversal occurred about 780,000 years ago.

4. Is magnetic rotation a natural process or can it be influenced by human activities?

Magnetic rotation is a natural process and it is influenced by the movement of molten iron in the Earth's outer core. Human activities do not have a significant impact on magnetic rotation.

5. Will magnetic rotation have any effect on our daily lives?

The shifting of the Earth's magnetic poles does not have a direct impact on our daily lives. However, it can affect navigation systems and animal migration patterns that rely on the Earth's magnetic field.