Magnetic Monopoles: Investigating Spin-Ice Evidence

In summary, the conversation discusses the observation of Dirac monopoles in spin ice and the possibility of using consistent mathematical developments to incorporate them in condensed matter systems. It also touches on the concept of magnetic monopoles and their topological nature, as well as the use of microscopic or macroscopic forms in describing Weyl semimetals and spin liquids. The idea of an emergent gauge structure in mean field theory is also mentioned.
stedwards
(This is not really an advanced question, but one for physicists advanced in this science, which I am not.)

In fairly recent investigation, the signature of Dirac monopoles was observed in spin ice.

Say I possessed a consistent mathematical development allowing for both magnetic monopoles and a 4-vector electromagnetic potential cast in microscopic form. Classically, it works nicely, and the monopoles can be gauged-away in vacuum. I say this just for background; I'm not advancing a theory in these forums.

1) For solid state physicists, would it be more useful if I reformulated in macroscopic form?

2) I know virtually nothing about spin-ice. Should I be concerned over non-isotropic permeability and/or permittivity? I would far prefer not to use non-isotropic formulations if applicable to materials that have shown evidence of Dirac strings.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you gauge away a magnetic monopole? I don't think that's possible since you cannot define vector potential globally and therefore have nontrivial topology. The definition of something being topologically nontrivial is that you cannot shrink it to a point, there is an obstruction which gives you a quantization conditions.

Monopole like objects occur in a lot of condensed matter systems. Some examples are in Weyl semimetals and in spin liquids (they are the vison excitation found originally in the toric code).

radium said:
How do you gauge away a magnetic monopole? I don't think that's possible since you cannot define vector potential globally and therefore have nontrivial topology. The definition of something being topologically nontrivial is that you cannot shrink it to a point, there is an obstruction which gives you a quantization conditions.

As I said, my stuff is classical, But could you expound on this?

Monopole like objects occur in a lot of condensed matter systems. Some examples are in Weyl semimetals and in spin liquids (they are the vison excitation found originally in the toric code).

Thanks for the response, by the way. Are Weyl semimetals and spin liquids best written in microscopic or macroscopic form?

Last edited:
I have no idea what your background is, but I'll assume you know E&M and vector calculus.
The fact that a magnetic monopole cannot be gauged away is not just a quantum mechanical thing. It is a purely topological thing. Charges are topological objects.
You cannot write a vector potential for a magnetic monopole defined globally because of the singularity at the origin. Younusve to write them in different regions and then glue them together now. Look at Nakahara's geometry topology and physics.

I have no idea what you mean by microscopic or macroscopic form, but they come in mean field theory. In SLs you have an emergent gauge structure in MF due to the Hilbert space being over complete.

Related to Magnetic Monopoles: Investigating Spin-Ice Evidence

1. What are magnetic monopoles?

Magnetic monopoles are hypothetical particles that possess only one magnetic pole, either a north or south pole, unlike the familiar magnets we know which have both poles. They are predicted by some scientific theories, but have not yet been observed or confirmed.

2. How are magnetic monopoles important in spin-ice evidence?

Magnetic monopoles are important in spin-ice evidence because they are predicted to exist in certain materials, such as spin-ice crystals, which exhibit unique magnetic properties. The presence or absence of magnetic monopoles in these materials can provide evidence for the validity of theories about their behavior.

3. How are scientists investigating magnetic monopoles?

Scientists are investigating magnetic monopoles through various experimental methods, such as using particle accelerators to try to create and detect them, as well as studying the behavior of certain materials that are predicted to contain magnetic monopoles.

4. What are some potential applications of magnetic monopoles?

If magnetic monopoles are confirmed to exist and can be harnessed, they could have potential applications in advanced technologies such as magnetic storage devices and quantum computing. They could also help us better understand the fundamental forces of nature.

5. What is the current status of research on magnetic monopoles?

Research on magnetic monopoles is ongoing, with scientists continuing to search for evidence of their existence and studying their potential properties and applications. While there have been some promising findings, the existence of magnetic monopoles has not yet been definitively proven.