Magnetic moment of the electron and spin

In summary: I'm guessing you mean phase velocity here.Can you give a textbook reference for that ?Phase velocity is a term used in the study of waves to describe the speed at which a wavefront travels from one point to another. It is the speed at which the phase of the wave changes. A textbook reference for phase velocity would be a good resource for this question. I'm sorry I don't have one.
Thoros
Quote from wikipedia about the electron's spin
Electrons are spin-1⁄2 particles. These have only two possible spin angular momentum values measured along any axis, +ħ/2 or −ħ/2. If this value arises as a result of the particles rotating the way a planet rotates, then the individual particles would have to be spinning impossibly fast. Even if the electron radius were as large as 2.8 fm (the classical electron radius), its surface would have to be rotating at 2.3×1011 m/s

But in optics and other fields we learned that speeds exceeding c are possible, if they do not propagate information. So is the concept of a classical electron with definite radius still physically correct in the sense that it's surface is actually allowed to move faster than c?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thoros said:
[...]But in optics and other fields we learned that speeds exceeding c are possible, if they do not propagate information. [...]

Can you give a textbook reference for that ?

dextercioby said:

I'd guess the OP is referring to greater than c group velocities.
A Systemized View of Superluminal Wave Propagation
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=5535097&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fxpls%2Fabs_all.jsp%3Farnumber%3D5535097

Vagn said:
I'd guess the OP is referring to greater than c group velocities.
A Systemized View of Superluminal Wave Propagation
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=5535097&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fxpls%2Fabs_all.jsp%3Farnumber%3D5535097

I'm guessing you mean phase velocity here.

The effect is probably best known in the case of anomalous dispersion in which even the group velocity may exceed the speed of light in vacuo. Although the speed of information doesn't.

Last edited:
So is the concept of a classical electron with definite radius still physically correct in the sense that it's surface is actually allowed to move faster than c?
No, not at all. The electron does not have a surface. It's a pointlike particle, which means that, along with all other particles considered elementary, its size is smaller than anything we have been able to probe.

Secondly, despite having angular momentum, an electron does not rotate.

I recognize that statement.It is given on wikipedia which is interesting.It was uhlenbeck who came up to lorentz with the idea of electron having a spin .But lorentz showed him that if this would be the case then the surface would have to rotating that much fast,which was impossible on classical grounds.But nevertheless his idea was well received (along with goudsmith) by Heisenberg who said that this idea will remove all the problems of pauli theory.Sorry,I don't remember the reference of it.If I will find ,i will post it.

Related to Magnetic moment of the electron and spin

What is the magnetic moment of an electron?

The magnetic moment of an electron is a measure of the strength and direction of its magnetic field. It is a fundamental property of the electron and is related to its spin.

What is spin in relation to the magnetic moment of an electron?

Spin is an intrinsic property of particles, including electrons, and is related to their angular momentum. It can be thought of as the "spin" of the particle around its own axis. The magnetic moment of an electron is directly related to its spin.

How is the magnetic moment of an electron measured?

The magnetic moment of an electron can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as electron spin resonance spectroscopy or nuclear magnetic resonance imaging. These techniques involve applying a magnetic field and measuring the response of the electron's magnetic moment.

What is the significance of the magnetic moment of an electron?

The magnetic moment of an electron has significant implications in fields such as quantum mechanics, solid state physics, and nuclear physics. It is also important in practical applications such as magnetic storage devices and medical imaging.

How does the magnetic moment of an electron contribute to the overall magnetic moment of an atom?

The magnetic moment of an electron is one of several factors that contribute to the overall magnetic moment of an atom. Other factors include the orbital motion of electrons and the spin of the nucleus. The combined effects of these factors determine the magnetic properties of an atom.