Magnetic moment of proton and electron of H-atom in ground state L=0

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of magnetic moments for a Hydrogen atom in a magnetic field of 2T. The question asks for the magnetic moments of the proton and electron in the ground state, but the attempt at a solution leads to a value of 0 for both, which does not seem valid. The conversation then suggests considering the expectation value of the magnetic moment operator in the fundamental state, with a proposed equation for the electron and proton magnetic moments. Further clarification is needed from the lecturer on whether the expectation value is the desired outcome.
lquinnl

Homework Statement

Consider the Hydrogen atom in a magnetic field of 2T. If the atom is in its ground state (orbital angular momentum L=0):
(a) Write down the magnetic moments of the proton and the spinning electron. [1]

Homework Equations

I am aware that the magnetic moment μ = (q/2m)L

The Attempt at a Solution

but because L=0 this means that μ=0 for both the proton and the electron, which doesn't seem to me to be a valid answer.

Is this the correct way to be attacking this problem or am i missing something?

Any help with pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it asks for the expectation value of the magnetic moment operator in the fundamental state (1s).

Thanks for the help, but I've looked at it some more alongside my lecture notes and I think what they want is:

[itex]\mu^{spin} = -2 \frac{e\hbar}{2m_{e}}m_{s} [/itex]

for the electron, and for the proton:

[itex]\mu = -2.79 \frac{e\hbar}{2m_{p}}m_{s} [/itex]

Do you think that seems reasonable? I am going to ask the lecturer tomorrow if it is the expectation value he wants or not.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Related to Magnetic moment of proton and electron of H-atom in ground state L=0

1. What is the concept of magnetic moment in an atom?

The magnetic moment of an atom is a measure of the strength and direction of the atom's magnetic field. It is caused by the spinning and orbital motion of the atom's charged particles, such as protons and electrons.

2. How is the magnetic moment of a proton and electron in the ground state of a hydrogen atom determined?

The magnetic moment of a proton is determined by its charge and spin, while the magnetic moment of an electron is determined by its charge, spin, and orbital motion around the nucleus. In the ground state of a hydrogen atom, the electron has a magnetic moment opposite in direction to that of the proton, resulting in a net magnetic moment of zero.

3. What is the significance of the ground state and L=0 in relation to the magnetic moment of a hydrogen atom?

The ground state of an atom refers to the lowest energy level or state that an electron can occupy. In the ground state of a hydrogen atom, the electron is in its lowest energy state and has zero angular momentum, denoted by L=0. This results in a cancellation of the electron's magnetic moment, making the hydrogen atom effectively non-magnetic.

4. How does the magnetic moment of a hydrogen atom change in excited states with different orbital angular momentum values?

As the electron in a hydrogen atom moves to higher energy levels, it gains more orbital angular momentum, denoted by L values greater than 0. This leads to a non-zero magnetic moment for the atom, with its strength and direction depending on the specific L value of the excited state.

5. Can the magnetic moment of a hydrogen atom in its ground state be affected by external magnetic fields?

Yes, even though the magnetic moment of a hydrogen atom in its ground state is zero, it can be affected by external magnetic fields. This is because the orbital motion of the electron can be affected by the external field, resulting in a non-zero magnetic moment for the atom.