Magnetic induction of infinite conducting sheet using Ampere's Law

In summary, the question requires solving an integral form in relation to a rectangle path in the x-y plane. The path is defined as the perimeter of the rectangle. The solution involves calculating the line integrals for each line segment and considering symmetry to simplify the calculation. The thickness, d, is related to the total current enclosed and can be found using the given current density.
fatherdaly

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/j3uzQ.png" to screenshot of question

Homework Equations

The "Integral Form" the question refers to is the http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/0/3/1/0311484f33c932135c09ab12ca8d1a29.png"

The Attempt at a Solution

The hint hasn't really helped me here, and I don't know what path dl should follow. Obviously it should be a rectangle of sorts but then you would have to do it line by line, meaning its not a closed loop. Also, I'm not sure how the thickness comes into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fatherdaly said:
The hint hasn't really helped me here, and I don't know what path dl should follow. Obviously it should be a rectangle of sorts but then you would have to do it line by line, meaning its not a closed loop.

They tell you the path in the problem statement. The path is the perimeter of a rectangle in the x-y plane. Yes, you do have to do the integral line by line, but when you add up the results for each line segment, you still get a closed loop line integral:

[tex]\oint\vec{B}\cdot d\vec{l}=\int_1 B_1dx + \int_2 B_2dy + \int_3 B_3dx + \int_4 B_4dy = \mu_o I_{enc}[/tex]

HINT: If you consider, using symmetry, the direction of the magnetic field, two of the above integrals should be trivial.

As for the thickness, d: You need the total current enclosed. You are given a current density...

Related to Magnetic induction of infinite conducting sheet using Ampere's Law

1. What is magnetic induction?

Magnetic induction is the process by which a magnetic field is created in a material, such as a conducting sheet, when it is placed in a changing magnetic field.

2. How does Ampere's Law relate to magnetic induction?

Ampere's Law states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is proportional to the current passing through the loop. This means that by using Ampere's Law, we can calculate the magnetic field induced in a conducting sheet by a changing magnetic field.

3. What is an infinite conducting sheet?

An infinite conducting sheet is a theoretical model of a flat, infinitely large sheet of material that has no resistance to the flow of electricity. This allows us to simplify the calculations and focus on the magnetic induction without worrying about the effects of resistance.

4. What factors affect the magnetic induction of an infinite conducting sheet?

The magnetic induction of an infinite conducting sheet is affected by the strength and direction of the external magnetic field, the size and thickness of the sheet, and the material properties of the sheet, such as its conductivity and permeability.

5. Why is the magnetic induction of an infinite conducting sheet important?

The magnetic induction of an infinite conducting sheet has many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic devices, motors, and generators. Understanding the behavior of magnetic fields in conducting sheets can also aid in the development of new technologies and improve our understanding of electromagnetism.