Magnetic Induction: Investigating Unmagnetized Pipe

In summary: It seems that the pipe should have an equal distribution of charges and not have a negative or positive end. However, the magnetometer used in the testing only measures magnetic fields, not voltage. This could be the source of confusion and could explain why the readings showed a difference in charge at different points on the pipe. It is possible that the magnetometer was not able to accurately pinpoint the exact locations of the charges.
Areena
Hello, I wasn't really sure as to where to post this, since it kinda doesn't really fit in with the listed categories, but I have a question. I work at a chem lab that specializes in Non-Destructive testing, and I am also minoring in Non-Destructive testing in college. In the engineering department, a long metal pipe was magnetized using a large magnetic coil of 120 turns, and it never overlaps itself. Only, the pipe did not develop a negative end and positive end like a magnet. The charges on the pipe are as shown in the attachment picture. I was asked why this is. The only things I could come up with were that it could be the material of the pipe, the length of the pipe, a flaw in the pipe, or the amount of voltage/amps used were too low to magnetize the pipe. The coil used 80 volts, twice that of what the company says is a safe level of voltage to use. No one can seem to figure this out, so hopefully some of you nice smart people can help me determine why this is, or if I am just having a stupid moment, and overlooking something obvious. Anything is appreciated. Thanks!

~Areena

Attachments

• pipe.bmp
    231.3 KB · Views: 513
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you guys determine the charge at specific points on the pipe?

Why would the static magnetisation cause a potential differance?
That's new to me.

Well, I did not do it, someone in engineering did, but they used a Magnetometer for DC magnetic fields. I do not believe they pinpointed the exact locations of the charges. The picture is just an example of what was found using the meter after magnetization of the pipe.

Areena;3313080The picture is just an example of what was found using the meter after magnetization of the pipe.[/QUOTE said:
OK, but the meter was a magnetometer. Right?
It does not measure electrical voltage, rather magnetic strength and polarity.
Perhaps this is the source of confusion.

If not, I'm all ear's.

I could see that palladin. I have a hard time believing that there was a difference in charge on a metal pipe. The charges should dissapate and the pipe should be the same charge at all points. Right?

Drakkith said:
...I have a hard time believing that there was a difference in charge on a metal pipe...

That is my thought as well.

Related to Magnetic Induction: Investigating Unmagnetized Pipe

What is magnetic induction?

Magnetic induction is the process by which a magnetic field is created in a material, such as a pipe, due to the presence of a changing magnetic field nearby.

How does magnetic induction occur in an unmagnetized pipe?

In an unmagnetized pipe, magnetic induction occurs when a changing magnetic field passes through the pipe, creating an induced magnetic field that runs parallel to the original field.

What factors affect the strength of magnetic induction in a pipe?

The strength of magnetic induction in a pipe is affected by the strength and direction of the original magnetic field, the material of the pipe, and the dimensions of the pipe.

What is the purpose of investigating magnetic induction in an unmagnetized pipe?

Investigating magnetic induction in an unmagnetized pipe can help us understand the properties of different materials and how they respond to changing magnetic fields. It can also have practical applications, such as detecting cracks or defects in pipes.

What are some potential applications of magnetic induction in unmagnetized pipes?

Magnetic induction in unmagnetized pipes can be used for non-destructive testing, detecting leaks or defects in pipelines, and measuring the magnetic properties of materials.