Magnetic Induction Experiment Suggestion

In summary, Wind about 15 feet of 30 AWG wire onto an iron or steel core (1/4 rod 2 inches long for instance) and connect the two ends ends of the wire that you have wound onto the core to a 1/8 inch phone plug. Plug it into the mic jack on the cassette recorder. Using earphones/headphones put the recorder in record mode and listen through the headphones. MOST recorders allow listening to what is being recorded through the headphone jack.
sammy-e
Hello,

I am looking for ideas to demonstrate magnetic induction. There are a couple I've found, but I'm having trouble finding something with a little more excitement. The two I've seen are lighting a bulb with a changing magnetic field and launching an object by closing a switch connecting a charged capacitor and a coil. While I like the 2nd, I'd like to find something different because I've seen that one a few too many times. Variations are fine, though.

Any suggestions at all are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Wind about 15 feet of 30 AWG wire onto an iron or steel core (1/4 rod 2 inches long for instance). Connect the two ends ends of the wire that you have wound onto the core to a 1/8 inch phone plug. The type that would plug into a mic jack on a small cassette recorder. Then, plug it into the mic jack on the cassette recorder. Using earphones/headphones put the recorder in record mode and listen through the headphones. MOST recorders allow listening to what is being recorded through the headphone jack. You can sustitute a small audio amplifier for the cassette recorder, but most people already have access to a cassette recorder.
-
Now what to do with this. There are all kinds of interesting things to listen to with this device. Start with placing it close to a speaker with audio playing through it. You can attach it it various objects that may vibrate and hold a magnet close to it. Your imagination is the limit.

Sounds pretty cool and I like the simplicity, but I'm sort of looking for something with movement or a more visible effect. Definitely on the list, though...

Averagesupernova said:
Wind about 15 feet of 30 AWG wire onto an iron or steel core (1/4 rod 2 inches long for instance).
The eddy currents in the iron will significantly attenuate the audible frequencies. I would use a ferrite rod if I knew where to get one.

Last edited:
Bob S said:
The eddy currents in the iron will significantly attenuate the audible frequencies. I would use a ferrite rod if I knew where to get one.

It always worked for me. In fact, a single turn of one of the wires feeding a conventional telephone set wrapped around this gave nice audio.

Related to Magnetic Induction Experiment Suggestion

1. What is a magnetic induction experiment?

A magnetic induction experiment is an experiment that involves using a magnetic field to induce a current in a conducting material. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction and is one of the fundamental principles of electricity and magnetism.

2. How does a magnetic induction experiment work?

In a magnetic induction experiment, a magnetic field is created by a magnet or an electromagnet. This field is then passed through a conducting material, such as a coil of wire. The changing magnetic field induces a current in the conducting material, which can be measured using a voltmeter or ammeter.

3. What materials can be used in a magnetic induction experiment?

Any material that conducts electricity can be used in a magnetic induction experiment. Some common materials used include copper, aluminum, and iron. The material should be in the form of a wire or a coil to allow for the flow of induced current.

4. What are some potential applications of magnetic induction experiments?

Magnetic induction experiments have a wide range of applications, including power generation, motors and generators, wireless charging, and electromagnetic sensors. They are also used in everyday devices such as transformers and induction cooktops.

5. What are some safety precautions to keep in mind when conducting a magnetic induction experiment?

When working with magnets and electricity, it is important to follow safety precautions to prevent any accidents or injuries. Some safety precautions to keep in mind when conducting a magnetic induction experiment include wearing protective gear, avoiding contact with live wires, and ensuring the equipment is properly grounded.