Magnetic force on a charge outside of toroidal coil

In summary, the presence of a magnetic field outside of a toroidal core is dependent on the perfection of the coil around it. A perfect coil with an infinite number of turns will have no magnetic field outside the core, while a non-perfect coil with a finite number of turns will have a magnetic field outside the core. This can be explained theoretically using Ampere's law, and practically by imagining a circulation path around the core and the conductor.
Alex Farraday

Homework Statement

Turns of wire would around a toroidal core, carrying a sinusoidal alternating current i(t), represent a toroidal coil in my case. My question is, does magnetic force affect a non-moving charge outside of toroidal core and is there a magnetic field outside of toroidal core? What if the charge moves?[/B]

Homework Equations

Just theoretical explanation.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess there is no magnetic field outside of the core, thus, no force affecting the charge outside of the core, but, I feel like I'm utterly wrong :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Alex Farraday said:

Homework Statement

Turns of wire would around a toroidal core, carrying a sinusoidal alternating current i(t), represent a toroidal coil in my case. My question is, does magnetic force affect a non-moving charge outside of toroidal core and is there a magnetic field outside of toroidal core? What if the charge moves?[/B]

Homework Equations

Just theoretical explanation.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess there is no magnetic field outside of the core, thus, no force affecting the charge outside of the core, but, I feel like I'm utterly wrong :(

Theoretical explanation: If the coil around the toroidal core is perfect (infinite number of turns) there is no magnetic field outside the core and the coil.

Practical explanation: There is a magnetic field because the coil is not perfect (finite number of turns). Assume that the number of turns around the core are reduced to zero, having a conductor along the core (but not around), then imagine a circulation path around this conductor (and the core). Now Amperes law states:

The circulation integral of Hds = N*I.

Therfore there must be a H-field along this path as N*I = I, ( B = μ0*H ). So as number of turns are reduced, the magnetic field outside the core will become more appearent due to a nonperfect coil. If the number of turns are infinite, no current will pass through this imagined circulation path.

Last edited:

Related to Magnetic force on a charge outside of toroidal coil

What is a toroidal coil?

A toroidal coil is a type of coil that is shaped like a doughnut or a ring. It is made by winding wire around a torus, which is a geometric shape with a circular cross-section and a hole in the middle. Toroidal coils are commonly used in electromagnets and transformers.

How does a toroidal coil produce a magnetic force on a charge outside of it?

A toroidal coil produces a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it. This magnetic field exerts a force on any charged particles that pass through it, including particles outside of the coil. This force is known as the magnetic force and is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic force on a charge outside of a toroidal coil?

The strength of the magnetic force on a charge outside of a toroidal coil depends on several factors, including the strength of the current flowing through the coil, the distance of the charge from the coil, and the orientation of the charge relative to the coil. The number of windings in the coil and the size and shape of the toroid also play a role in determining the strength of the magnetic force.

Can the direction of the magnetic force on a charge outside of a toroidal coil be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic force on a charge outside of a toroidal coil can be changed by altering the orientation of the charge relative to the coil. The direction of the force is always perpendicular to the direction of the current and the magnetic field, so changing the orientation of the charge will change the direction of the force.

Is the magnetic force on a charge outside of a toroidal coil affected by the material of the coil?

Yes, the material of the toroidal coil can affect the strength of the magnetic force on a charge outside of it. Materials with higher magnetic permeability, such as iron, will produce a stronger magnetic field and therefore a stronger force on the charge. However, the shape and size of the coil also play a significant role in determining the strength of the magnetic force, so the material is not the only factor to consider.